Borgeson Power Steering Pump

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently had some issues with my power steering belt coming off... If you know my car you know the story. I found that the P.O.-s installed a pump with a bent pully on the car. The 70 Dart had a Federal style pump on it when I got it. After finally pulling everything off to inspect it I decided to go with a Borgeson power steering pump with brackets from Summit.

Borgeson Universal 800337 Borgeson Power Steering Pump Upgrade Kits | Summit Racing

I found the kit to work nicely, everything bolts up good and the belt tension is easy to adjust. Since I was changing from the Federal pump to this style I decided to order the correct pressure hose as well. I just went to Rock Auto to order a Saginaw hose for a 70 Dart. Once I got everything I bolted it together to check the fitment and noticed there was no way either hose would work on this pump. The pump sits really low on the engine and the hose fitting is now on the back of the pump. The hose would require a very short 90 degree angle to clear the motor mount perch on the K frame.

I checked with Borgeson and they said they had hoses to fit... but only to fit with their steering box.

I ended up taking the hose for the federal pump and found a 90 bend in it... cut the end off and re-flared it with a shorter fitting than usual to make it fit. It is very close to the K frame.

I just figured this might help someone doing the same... and maybe there are some better ideas. I do have a local company that makes hydraulic hoses so I am sure they could make one easy enough that would fit even better.

20231005_204547.jpg

20231005_205145.jpg

20231005_205624.jpg

20231005_205840.jpg

20231005_212000.jpg

20231005_213340.jpg

20231005_213352.jpg

If it doesn't hit anything, run it!

Known issue with 72-down cars and Saginaw pumps. Use CVF brackets, they raise the pump to clear the K Member.

I recently had some issues with my power steering belt coming off... If you know my car you know the story. I found that the P.O.-s installed a pump with a bent pully on the car. The 70 Dart had a Federal style pump on it when I got it. After finally pulling everything off to inspect it I decided to go with a Borgeson power steering pump with brackets from Summit.

Borgeson Universal 800337 Borgeson Power Steering Pump Upgrade Kits | Summit Racing

I found the kit to work nicely, everything bolts up good and the belt tension is easy to adjust. Since I was changing from the Federal pump to this style I decided to order the correct pressure hose as well. I just went to Rock Auto to order a Saginaw hose for a 70 Dart. Once I got everything I bolted it together to check the fitment and noticed there was no way either hose would work on this pump. The pump sits really low on the engine and the hose fitting is now on the back of the pump. The hose would require a very short 90 degree angle to clear the motor mount perch on the K frame.

I checked with Borgeson and they said they had hoses to fit... but only to fit with their steering box.

I ended up taking the hose for the federal pump and found a 90 bend in it... cut the end off and re-flared it with a shorter fitting than usual to make it fit. It is very close to the K frame.

I just figured this might help someone doing the same... and maybe there are some better ideas. I do have a local company that makes hydraulic hoses so I am sure they could make one easy enough that would fit even better.

View attachment 1716152645

View attachment 1716152646

View attachment 1716152647

View attachment 1716152648

View attachment 1716152649

View attachment 1716152650

View attachment 1716152651
Why does anyone buy this stuff when the bolt on kits are available? The company is also a site supporter!!!
Bergmanautocraft.com

It clears.. barely but it is what it is. I'd rather make a clearance notch in the K member than buy a set of $400 brackets to fix a pump they say fits.
I think you might put a piece of slit heater hose over the pressure hose where it contacts the block, but other than that, I think it's fine!

1. My hose = $0
2. Your hose is braided and I can't stand the look of those.
3. You're a long way down on the Googler
mopar saginaw power steering pump - Google Search
Just offering a solution. Our kit has black hose and a unique banjo fitting to allow the use of Saginaw pumps in 70-72 K frames and LA engines. Our brackets are all original style and we use Mopar pumps with keyed pullies, not the press on GM stuff.

I did a banjo on my friend's 71 Demon with the M-body brackets, all we did was use my AN flaring tool and flare a line. Mine has all AN lines, but the same fitting. I did have to trim the k-frame, but this was before there was really anything else available
1697065026673.png

-
Back