Borgeson Steering Universal Alternative?

-

BullyDodge

Reaction score
Has anybody found a universal that will work in a 68' Dart column and Borgeson P/S box other than from Borgeson? With exchange and shipping I'm at about $160. Thanks.

Has anybody found a universal that will work in a 68' Dart column and Borgeson P/S box other than from Borgeson? With exchange and shipping I'm at about $160. Thanks.

i put a borgeson ps box in my 69 barracuda 383 4sp. you can use the borgeson universal joint IF you can find the shorter OEM mopar power steering steering column. if you have the shorter mopar ps column, you can remove the press-pin at the end of the column, slide the borgeson joint onto the shaft and then drill a new bigger hole in the borgeson joint and reinsert the mopar press pin. there are two problem with changing from the manual steering to the power steering on A-bodies. first, when the factory steering box is bolted onto the k-frame, it is off-set by (maybe) 20 degrees from being straight with the steering column shaft where it comes through the firewall. thus the need for the universal joint. second, the mopar factory manual steering box is smaller than the factory power steering box which causes there to be two different length steering columns - one for manual steering and one for power steering. here's a pic of my conversion using a factory ps column and the borgeson universal joint.

80.jpg

82.jpg

this one.jpg

this one 6b.jpg

this one 2.jpg

i put a borgeson ps box in my 69 barracuda 383 4sp. you can use the borgeson universal joint IF you can find the shorter OEM mopar power steering steering column. if you have the shorter mopar ps column, you can remove the press-pin at the end of the column, slide the borgeson joint onto the shaft and then drill a new bigger hole in the borgeson joint and reinsert the mopar press pin. there are two problem with changing from the manual steering to the power steering on A-bodies. first, when the factory steering box is bolted onto the k-frame, it is off-set by (maybe) 20 degrees from being straight with the steering column shaft where it comes through the firewall. thus the need for the universal joint. second, the mopar factory manual steering box is smaller than the factory power steering box which causes there to be two different length steering columns - one for manual steering and one for power steering. here's a pic of my conversion using a factory ps column and the borgeson universal joint.

View attachment 1715650613

View attachment 1715650614

View attachment 1715650616

View attachment 1715650617

View attachment 1715650618
I may have to get back to thin later next year. We are int winter -25's so not to much going on. It had a pump on the engine (not plumbed to the box) so not sure what is original. Is the longer tail shaft (closest to box, longer overall) from a PS column?

-
Back