boring 360 .060

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
Tell me ur thought on a 360 bored to .060 it is a later 360 74-77 or something like that. I've heard a lot about different thicknesses of 360 and how ur not supposed to bore a later 360 past .030... I will have it sonic checked tomorrow what is the magical # that I should be looking for?

I have the opportunity to get 8 new FT forged pistons that are .060 thats the reason why I'm even concidering this.

Jason

To me, that makes the bore a little to thin. I have mine at .020 over. The thicker the cylinder walls, the less flex you have, & the better seal you have.

The thin/thick cylinder wall thing is preety much been debunked by those who have theres sonic checked, which you should do. Just to be sure.

When it's machined, make sure they have a honeing plate.

As Rob and the others mentioned, the FIRST thing to so is have the block sonice tested. Secondly, why do you want to go .060 over? Does the block need that much to clean up the bores, or is it just something you would like to do? I was always of the opinion that you only over-bore as much as is necessary at the time of the current build. If you do it this way, there's room for another bore and rebuild later if need be.

As Rob and the others mentioned, the FIRST thing to so is have the block sonice tested. Secondly, why do you want to go .060 over? Does the block need that much to clean up the bores, or is it just something you would like to do? I was always of the opinion that you only over-bore as much as is necessary at the time of the current build. If you do it this way, there's room for another bore and rebuild later if need be.

The only reason for me to go .060 is b/c I have free new forged pistons that are .060...

The only reason for me to go .060 is b/c I have free new forged pistons that are .060...

Hey Jason I know this isn't what your asking but what's the compression distance on those pistons? Remember to also check that to make sure they're in the range you want them.

If you don't know the compression distance give me the brand and part number and I'll see what I can find.

I am running a .060 360 with no problems whatsoever. Temp stays around 190-200. If the sonic check determines you can go .060, then go for it.

Hey Jason I know this isn't what your asking but what's the compression distance on those pistons? Remember to also check that to make sure they're in the range you want them.

If you don't know the compression distance give me the brand and part number and I'll see what I can find.

Tracy,

The free pistons are Wiseco Forged flat top

PT022H6 4.060" 3.580" 6.123" 1.665 -6cc 10.0:1 $624.68
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WIS-PT022H6&autoview=sku

My 360 is .060 over as well never really had any cooling problems 195ish in 95-100 weather sitting in traffic other then that 180-185 all day.

-
Back