Bottom of lifter worn thru

-
Excuse the hi-jack......suppose someone has a motor with a flat tappet cam that has been sitting for a while.....it was a driver for a while. I realize that the break in of cam/lifters is done but what should be done other than yank the dist. and spin the pump up to get oil every where again? Should a zinc additive be used just as a safeguard?

Doug, my opinion is, spin the pump like you said, use a high quality oil and let it eat. The surfaces have already been mated and I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Did they even read the instructions?!:banghead:"

That or did they read the instructions and think "that don't apply to me" and just fire it up like nothing special needs to be done. :banghead:

I've read and answered some posts already about the necessity of removing the inner spring for break in. Some guys act like removing the inner springs for break in and having to re-install them is akin to having all their teeth pulled without a sedative. What they don't consider is how much longer it'll take them if the cam dies and they have to rebuild the entire engine because they were lazy. I realize that not every time you have to remove the inner springs (depends on the seat pressure), but most of the time you do. I always do it just out of caution even if the seat pressure isn't real high

That or did they read the instructions and think "that don't apply to me" and just fire it up like nothing special needs to be done. :banghead:

I've read and answered some posts already about the necessity of removing the inner spring for break in. Some guys act like removing the inner springs for break in and having to re-install them is akin to having all their teeth pulled without a sedative. What they don't consider is how much longer it'll take them if the cam dies and they have to rebuild the entire engine because they were lazy. I realize that not every time you have to remove the inner springs (depends on the seat pressure), but most of the time you do. I always do it just out of caution even if the seat pressure isn't real high
There's plenty of Chevy guys my machinist said that don't listen to him about break-in or the valve springs. I had him check everything out and talked to him about everything and had him install my springs and do everything that was needed to the heads before I ran them. He said more often than not, these guys come calling him blaming him for their problems with cam break-in even though he explained what to do explicitly. Morons.

-
Back