bought an AK

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Just bought a used Egyptian Maadi ARM AK-47, for a pretty good price, at a local gun show today. I would like to take it apart and clean it well before I shoot it.....and to make sure there is nothing wrong with the gun. Any tips or suggestion on cleaning it, good solvents, ect.....

was it packed full of grease? when i got an sks years ago it was packed. i used coleman lantern fuel for the initial clean, then used what I always use, Butch's Bore Solvent for the final cleaning. After I fired it once or twice, I used Sweets on it...

The Egyptian Maadi is the one with the milled reciever isn't it? Much better gun than the Norinco AK (even tho I have 2) . I just use what ever Walmart or Kmart has on sell

i used kerosine to get rid of all the cosmoline then rem oil for the final clean its cheap and works great

When reassembling the rifle the worst part is getting the top cover on and to seat it. Remember that all Warsaw pact weapons were made very simplistic so Siberian idiots could disassemble and reassemble them. I have owned many of the Warsaw pact weapons. One of the best that you can get is a makarov pistol. It makes a good side piece and match to the AK. On removing the cosmoline, soak it in the tub in kerosene (metal parts) and then oil the metal parts when you pull them out, to get the cosmoline out of the wood, soak the wood pieces in the tub in hot water. It will take the wood 48 hours to dry after the soak.

Congrats on the buy they are one of the AKs sought after as of late. I own a WASR-10 Hi Cap and its a great shooter.

If you want to know more about the model you bought check out www.gunsnet.net its an all AK site and full of info.

I use Hoops.

was it packed full of grease? when i got an sks years ago it was packed. i used coleman lantern fuel for the initial clean, then used what I always use, Butch's Bore Solvent for the final cleaning. After I fired it once or twice, I used Sweets on it...

not really, just alot of dirt and a little bit of gunk, should clean up nice. I didn't know what kind of solvent to get so I picked up some hoppe's solvent and oil

The Egyptian Maadi is the one with the milled reciever isn't it? Much better gun than the Norinco AK (even tho I have 2) . I just use what ever Walmart or Kmart has on sell

I believe that the egyptian maadi was available with a milled reciever but not all of them got it.....mainly stamped receivers.

Congrats on the buy they are one of the AKs sought after as of late. I own a WASR-10 Hi Cap and its a great shooter.

If you want to know more about the model you bought check out www.gunsnet.net its an all AK site and full of info.

I use Hoops.

thanks for the link, i just picked up some hoppe's so I think it should clean up nice

i would run sweets thru it after cleaning it with what ever you chose for the initial cleaning, it has a high ammonia content and is good at cleaning out any copper....

just google AK-47 you'll find anything you want to know about it. Have never had a problem with my Norinco, they are about the simplest guns ever made and I think #2 all time military weapon ever made (AK-47).

Youtube has a lot of good videos of breaking it down and cleaning it. The design is simple a lot more so the then AR-15 (M16 & M4) design. The AR-15 is a great rifle to own but I really like the AK. I did build an AR a few years ago.

Just bought a used Egyptian Maadi ARM AK-47, for a pretty good price, at a local gun show today. I would like to take it apart and clean it well before I shoot it.....and to make sure there is nothing wrong with the gun. Any tips or suggestion on cleaning it, good solvents, ect.....

Let me see if I got this right.... you bought an AK-47 and you dont know how to clean it? I'm happy I live on the east coast! LOL BE CAREFUL!!
PS dont point it at anyone!

Let me see if I got this right.... you bought an AK-47 and you dont know how to clean it?
How would I know how to take it apart if I've never owned one before? Thats like me saying, "Let me see if I got this right.... you bought a Ferrari F140 V12 and you dont know how to take put it together?

I'm happy I live on the east coast! LOL BE CAREFUL!!
PS dont point it at anyone!

well I have cleaned plenty of firearms before, just never an AK, I had never had any experience with taking one apart until a couple hours ago....found out it is by far the simplest firearm I've ever seen. I can take it apart and put it back together in 5 minutes. lol No need to give me a safty talk, practiced around firearms safely since I was twelve.

Youtube has a lot of good videos of breaking it down and cleaning it. The design is simple a lot more so the then AR-15 (M16 & M4) design. The AR-15 is a great rifle to own but I really like the AK. I did build an AR a few years ago.

I watched a couple of them before I took it apart, a very simple gun. Didn't take much at all....very intelligent design thats cheap to produce with very few moving parts. I would like to build an AR someday, pretty cool guns.

cool i wish i was aloved to have an asualtriffle where i live but around here they are as ilegal as a gun can be :( my choice would have been the AK5 wish i have used while doing my service and its a great riffle with good precision and it can handle alot of dirt without stoping just like the ak47 and very very easy to take apart for cleanup, i can have one of those entirely taken apart and put togheter in about 30seconds if needed

I watched a couple of them before I took it apart, a very simple gun. Didn't take much at all....very intelligent design thats cheap to produce with very few moving parts. I would like to build an AR someday, pretty cool guns.

The old saying is buy an AK (Cheaper to buy then to build) and build an AR. The AR if you buy a full upper it comes already together with the lower parts kit. Then pick up a lower reciever and use the parts that came with the upper to put the guts in the lower reciever.

I bought a Black Thorn kit www.akpartskits.com for my AR15 and a lot of guys hate them as they used to have a lot of QC problems. I went with them as they where 100 bucks cheaper. The gun goes bang every time.

The reciever I bought was from www.essentialarms.com and it was 77 bucks plus shipping and FFL charge. You can now find lowers a bit cheapr then Essential Arms and they may have come back down in price as well.

I have in my AR 630-650 with 10 mags. I bought some used and some new if you look around you should never have over 650-700 in an AR. I also have a video on youtube and a review on it. I may do another review on the AR.

I did have one problem on the AR that I need to fix. I ordered the reciever to have the tough coat on it and the bolt release is heavy coated as well and its to stiff to move. I have to take it apart and sand down the bolt release (never do this on the reciever NEVER) and then put it back in and it will work.

The gun works without it, I just have to charge a round every time I put a new mag in.

www.ar15.com has a step by step on building an AR and its good I used it.

-
Back