Bout Gettin Tired Of This Shat.....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So Since I've gotten Vixen back on the road (64 Valiant, slant 6, three on the tree, 7.25 rear), I've gone through THREE ball and trunnion boots. Is there anyone out there who makes a real QUALITY boot kit that will actually LAST? I don't need the whole shebang, just the boot kit is all. Thank you drive through.

Does Detroit Muscle sell them?? I havent bought a whole lot from them, but kinda hoping their rubber parts are a little higher quality.

In what way are they failing?

Wrap a used rag around it

Last edited:
Or one of these.

IMG_1391.jpg

get rid of the B&T . Change your driveshaft to the slip yoke style .
That's coming, but just not right yet. I'm eventually going to swap in my T5 and that of course has a slip yoke. But that's a bit down the road yet, so I need to repair what's there.

Does Detroit Muscle sell them?? I havent bought a whole lot from them, but kinda hoping their rubber parts are a little higher quality.
I looked, but I didn't see them.

Yes, we have the ball & trunion boot kits in stock and ready to ship....

319-38909, $69.00, Universal Joint "boot" by itself. Part of the Universal service package part #368-37885 if only needing a new rubber boot.
1721143204579.png

We also have the complete rebuild kits in stock as well.......

368-37885, $198.00, Universal Joint Service Package (see photo) (after 1965 all V8 applications did not use this ball & trunion). Please NOTE: The pin is longer than the original and should be trimmed down to size prior to installation.
1721143319079.png

I don't remember but it wasn't that much.Good 12-14 years ago.

Mine cost $500 at the DS shop! Ouch.
If I was going to keep the three speed in it, that's the rout I would go, because I like that design. But I'm not wasting that money just to pull it out later.

If I was going to keep the three speed in it, that's the rout I would go, because I like that design. But I'm not wasting that money just to pull it out later.
Come to thank of it, that $ was for a complete driveshaft with that joint.. But wait, I left them a good used shaft to make shorter and use!

The shop had been in business 87 years and no one there would touch my trunion DS for any work.

If I recall, people some years back used a VW boot for the trunion deal.

I rather have my ************* that have to fool with a PB trans or a trunion setup! I have maybe 4-5 trunion A body DS sitting here, but needless to say not any good boots!

Come to thank of it, that $ was for a complete driveshaft with that joint.. But wait, I left them a good used shaft to make shorter and use!

The shop had been in business 87 years and no one there would touch my trunion DS for any work.

If I recall, people some years back used a VW boot for the trunion deal.

I rather have my ************* that have to fool with a PB trans or a trunion setup! I have maybe 4-5 trunion A body DS sitting here, but needless to say not any good boots!
I actually have an extra drive shaft, too....but the boot is torn on it as well. LOL

Feeling lucky? That $69 boot looks identical to a $18 Jeep Willys pto boot. 1" id cone end and the other is 1-3/8" id. I'd try burping the air out of the boot as a last step before tightening the clamps and not completely filling the cavity with grease.

I bought one off ebay, just went to look and see if it had a part # on it, can't find it.
That means I put it somewhere safe, never to be seen again.

And btw, B&T joints last forever, unlike u-joints, never didn't replace a u-joint eventually.

Heck, my boot has been ripped for years, drive it all the time, never had a problem.
In fact, it's constantly spinning at an incredible speed, so any dirt, water, or grease (that should be kept inside) gets flung out.

Based on my research with this one car, that means all B&T joints are indestructible and everyone should switch from a u-joint to a B&T.

Yes, we have the ball & trunion boot kits in stock and ready to ship....

319-38909, $69.00, Universal Joint "boot" by itself. Part of the Universal service package part #368-37885 if only needing a new rubber boot.
View attachment 1716276898

We also have the complete rebuild kits in stock as well.......

368-37885, $198.00, Universal Joint Service Package (see photo) (after 1965 all V8 applications did not use this ball & trunion). Please NOTE: The pin is longer than the original and should be trimmed down to size prior to installation.
View attachment 1716276899
I don't know, Rick. If I pay 69 bucks for a boot and it tears, I ain't gonna be too happy. lol

-
Back