BP oil spill?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Let me give ya my take on the matter and you tell me how you feel it really is. I worked in Alaska on the North Slope for 13 yrs. Had a lot of dealings with the process of oil in those years. My alternate and i were contract reps for Veco Int. on the BP maint contract. We would do shut downs on their gathering center facilities and many other day to day issues that would arrise. During the winter months we would oversee 150 personell and in summer peak time that would rise to 450 personell. I'm no stranger ti oil issues so let me clue you in.
We've got a spill in the gulf. No denying that. We have a pipe coming out of the bottom of the ocean a mile down. We see it every day and we see robots performing work on a very precise basis. We have a pipe protruding out of the ocean floor about the diameter of a dinner plate. Tell me this. Well drilling, whether it be water or oil, takes a pipe to flow the substance. So we take a section of pipe and shove it downward toward the leaking pipe. When you come to the end of that section you weld on another section. Continueing on with that process you eventually reach trhe destination which is the pipe coming out of the ocean floor and place the pipe over the leaking pipe. Where does the oil then go? Straight up. Whats on the surface? A tanker ready to take on the surfacing oil. The subsurface robots can manipulate the pipe over the oil gurging one thus sending the oil to the surface to be placed in a tanker. Further more, my brother is a pilot who flys for the forestry department in times of wildfires but now is contracted to fly on the oil effort merely useing his plane as a relay unit to patch radio signal to the shore. Get a load of this. BP dont want them there. The Coast guard dont want them there. The forestry dept does want them there. I guess on BP's behalf i can say it tougher to bullshit folks when there's lot of eyes watching. We send rockets to the moon and we cant stop a leak on our own planet? Give me a break. Dont pee down my neck and tell me it's raining.
Small Block

Our corrupt Government is in bed with these oil companies. For all we know this was a deliberate leak to squash offshore drilling.:angry7: Who do you trust anymore? Its seems everyone lies and lies and lies about everything.

i was told if they plugged it they would need a new drilling permit that may not be issued therefore the delay in controlling it.

I think your theory would work on a normal pressure oil well.. I think that thay hit a pocket of oil with so much pressure that nothing or no one can stop it, russia explored the super deep drilling and hit high pressure wells "on land" and it blew everything all to hell, thay just swept the facts under the rug, said lesson learned and their still super deep drilling..

I think your theory would work on a normal pressure oil well.. I think that thay hit a pocket of oil with so much pressure that nothing or no one can stop it, russia explored the super deep drilling and hit high pressure wells "on land" and it blew everything all to hell, thay just swept the facts under the rug, said lesson learned and their still super deep drilling..

I heard the well head had pressures of 9000 PSI.

I heard the well head had pressures of 9000 PSI.

I heard from a non government sorce quoteing a BP insider it's between 20,000 to 70,000 psi, nothing can stop that much pressure, if thay plug it, it'll keep blowing out other places in the pipe, thats why it isn't plugged already in my openion...

I heard from a non government sorce quoteing a BP insider it's between 20,000 to 70,000 psi, nothing can stop that much pressure, if thay plug it, it'll keep blowing out other places in the pipe, thats why it isn't plugged already in my openion...

That makes more sense. That kind of pressure is insane, and my guess is that could easily blow out their pipeline. The news outlets were reporting 9000 PSI.

Take the time and watch this 9 part interview with this guy on youtube, he has BP and oil company insider info and a lot more, he backs everything up with FACTS... This guy is not a nut job... He tells about everything that is really going on.. What BP hit, why it blowed, the cap pressure, everything...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYhugmaAL3A"]YouTube- Lindsey Williams Talks with Alex Jones About Deadly Gases Leaking from BP Spill 1/9[/ame]

You know whats really scary? there are 27,000 abandonded wells in the Gulf alone...27,000 abandoned wells that no one is overseeing since all the way back to the 1940s. Some were milked dry and some they just shut down when they quit producing as much as they wanted. Over time they fill back up and re-pressurize with gasses, depending on how they well plugged, concrete usually, it detirorates with time and salt water surely speeds that up. Now that they have this one stopped they are worried about the ocean floor caving in or exploding outward and thats just ONE of the 27,000...spooky.

Looks like it's plugged for now. Surely they had a plan to harness that much pressure before they drilled. I hope so.
Small Block

Looks like it's plugged for now. Surely they had a plan to harness that much pressure before they drilled. I hope so.
Small Block

Did thay plug it?? It keeps me so pi$$ed off I try not to watch anything about it, it always seemed to me that the live pics thay were showing us were in slow motion, did you ever notice that??

I think that instead of focusing solely on plugging the pipe, they should have contained the area all around the well by forming a circle with some kind of curtains dropped down from the surface extending all the way to the bottom. Then pull up some tankers and let them suck up all the oil/water mix, separate it with on-board machines, and off-load the oil onto other tankers to carry it off to refineries. No oil would reach the coastlines.

Everybody was too fixated on fixing the leak to think about the problem in another way.

It would be nice if you could start at the surface and keep adding jts. of pipe until reaching bottom. Unfortunately, it's not that easy in water a mile deep. That pipe string would look like a rope blowing in the wind, what with the currents and stuff. They say the pressure now is 6700 PSI and rising. I think everyone knows that there are risks involved on a project like this. I am amazed at what they have accomplished. If we all want to keep our gas prices as they are, there will have to be more of this type drilling.

All,
I'm currently a senior toolpusher (drilling superintendent for Transocean) on a rig working in water depth greater than the Horizon. This event was not staged it was no political scheme by the government or BP. Working in water over a mile deep is not anything like working on the surface. The pressure on that well is not the factor or the problem. The BOP's arent the problem either. The casing was not cemented properly and therefore parted due to its own weight and the pressure exerted on its annulus (outside) there was no lockdown ring ran causing the casing to shoot up into the BOP's preventing them from sealing off. Once the rig exploded and the communication was lost to the BOP's they went into a deadman sequence. This sequence only closes the Blind rams, they will not cut the casing and drill pipe due to their design. This was BP's fault for taking short cuts or saving a day or two rig time. I can help people understand more if they are willing to listen and want to PM me. Believe me I dont mind.

My take on it is like this.... Everybody points the finger at BP. True, they messed up. Bad. There's enough blame to go around for everyone though. Me, you, everybody. I mean, are any of us driving totally electric vehicles? Everytime we pull up to the pump, we're increasing demand. To me, BP is gonna end up a scapegoat of sorts. They provide jobs for thousands of people all over the world. They have helped provide the world with petroleum products for a long time. Now, they are likely not going to survive this, because they are gonna be made an example of. How fair will that be to all of their employees? All the way down to the low man on the totem pole with five kids to feed and a mortgage. The whole thing is a mess. Really.....if you honestly wanna blame someone blame all the enviro nut jobs that lobbied and made it to where companies have to drill 50 miles off shore in 5000 feet of water. I mean, I agree about puttin a man on the moon and all that stuff. No doubt it appears we SHOULD have been able to stop the leak before now. But stop and think about it. I cannot even begin to imagine the pressure at that depth. Think about how much pressure you feel when you're at the bottom of the deep end of the pool. ...and they are remotely operating robots in water that deep. To have come this far, to me, is nothing short of miraculous. Had they been allowed to drill in 100 feet of water instead of 5000, this likely never would have happened. Truthfully, I think oil companies have a darn good record of accidents. Think about it. We've been drilling and refining crude for over one hundred years. In all that time, we've not messed up too many times. If congress would allow drilling in ANWAR and in the mid west, we'd never have to rely on foreign oil again and we wouldn't have to touch the oceans. They say there's enough shale and crude under the mid west to power the country for a hundred years, but we'll never see it. THAT'S just stupid.

They cant just extend a mile of pipe to the surface without a platform to secure the top of it.
There are lots of places on the planet where this type of well is drilled. If the only contractor who does this leaves here they wont be back for a very long time. Thats the main reason some are pushing the new permit(s) issue.
I dont think BP or any oil company really wants to drill off our coast again. So long as we continue to use more oil than anyone else we dont have a choise but to practicly beg them to drill locally.
If our government owned and operated the industry they would be soley responcible for these concequences. I can only imagine what that would be like. Betcha Obama doesn't even want to think about "what if ?"
He's glad BP is the scapegoat but I'll say this again... we are to blame because we use so much oil.
Being dependant on foreign oil wouldn't a bad thing if the quantity was minimal. I think we all can see now that drilling here isn't the best solution. Alternative energy is the solution but that can't happen overnight.

Get a load of the White Zombie. Don't tell him alternative fuel ain't here yet. LOL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cf89tawZX8"]YouTube- White Zombie Datsun 1200 Electric drag car[/ame]

The bf's solution to the leak in the Gulf...........
0906.JPG

Then again, the bf is convinced the Simpsons can solve any problem..... :scratch:

I think our main concern is the lack of refineries for the oil. Price at the pump seem to go up when the levels of refined oil come down.
Its a shame for the lives that were lost on that rig. I do feel that BP is responsible for this, as it didn't seem that they had any proceadure in place for this concern.

Drilling an oil well is a complex operation but it isnt impossible. We have been doing it for years and have burned down one rig and a very big oil spill. How many land rigs have we burnt down, how many jack-ups. The equipment used for deepwater drilling and the BOP's is state of the art. I laugh sometimes when i see where people think they could have or should have been able to stop the leak in a day or a week. What is sad is the oil industry is fixing to get hurt beyond repair in the US due to this thinking. This incident should have never occured and would not have if the casing that was set last on that well had the proper lock down ring installed. This was a short cut BP took and it cost lives and catastrophic environmental damage. People are so focused on the spill they aren't slowing down to look at what caused it. Everyone can see the BOP's in the water on the cameras and the news is saying the broken BOP's and damaged riser. There was nothing wrong with those BOP's before the rig went down. They were intact and functional. Of course the government and BP both want you to think that is the problem. They made the plan and approved it. yes your american government said ok you can run the casing and not install the proper **** on top of it to keep it in place. The water depth has nothing to do with operating safely we drill in water depths twice that depth.

-
Back