Bracket/breakout?

-

Joker13

Reaction score
I realize this is a complete beginners question, but I know this this would be the place to find an answer.

What is the type of racing where there is a launch, then lay off, kind of roll a bit, then hit it? I was at Atco Sunday and aside from the Nostalgia class, the others did this. I am not familiar with it.

lol, that must be the .90 classes. Super Street=10.90, Super Gas=9.90 and Super Comp=8.90.

Racers have throttle stops that kick in right after launch, then a timer keeps it on for a predetermined length of time. The length of the throttle stop being on will affect how close they get to their index. Most build killer HP engines, then use the throttle stop to slow down the ET. But they still have a very high MPH to make it difficult for others to judge. But bracket racers can do it too.

Stutter boxes are illegal....
what you have throttle stop under the carb that is controlled by a computer ....the throttle stop is opened and closed by the computer ....basically a timer to allow a car that can run 9 flat to slow down to 10.90.....yes..boring

Correct,and it's the most BORING to watch:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
Excruciatingly boring. I came of age at the track in the early 80s. Heavy Eliminator etc. Been to track few times a year over the past couple years and never saw this.

lol, that must be the .90 classes. Super Street=10.90, Super Gas=9.90 and Super Comp=8.90.

Racers have throttle stops that kick in right after launch, then a timer keeps it on for a predetermined length of time. The length of the throttle stop being on will affect how close they get to their index. Most build killer HP engines, then use the throttle stop to slow down the ET. But they still have a very high MPH to make it difficult for others to judge. But bracket racers can do it too.
Thanks. Now I know to stay away from .90 class!

Thanks. Now I know to stay away from .90 class!
Been a while since I went to one of the bracket races, don`t care for that stuff at all. The last time I did go was stutter boxes on the big block chevy dragsters = boring at any rate. Was about 71/2 yrs. ago .

Absolutely goes against what Drag Racing was/is about for me, I cringe when the owners reply with but it takes skill to sort out, and its crap to watch for the public who cannot understand it. I know we cannot have heads up all the time but...............The best we got over here apart from the Pro's is C/E at least they run to weight/ci and an index but its still a staggered start.:( unless you got 2 cars of same class running, then its who's got the balls to run way under to win, much like S & SS.

Last edited:
Absolutely goes against what Drag Racing was/is about for me, I cringe when the owners reply with but it takes skill to sort out, and its crap to watch for the public who cannot understand it. I know we cannot have heads up all the time but...............The best we got over here apart from the Pro's is C/E at least they run to weight/ci and an index but its still a staggered start.:( unless you got 2 cars of same class running, then its who's got the balls to run way under to win, much like S & SS.
I liked when it was who can get through the 1/4 miles fastest. Handicapping was ok to me to balance some races and make it fun to watch. This stuff is total bunk to watch.

A race, horse, drag, 200 meter, is to see who is fastest. It is a simple concept.

I liked when it was who can get through the 1/4 miles fastest. Handicapping was ok to me to balance some races and make it fun to watch. This stuff is total bunk to watch.

A race, horse, drag, 200 meter, is to see who is fastest. It is a simple concept.
Well, this wouldn't bode well in drag racing. 90 racers show up, all take 1 trial pass and you know who the winner is, most likely a low 7 second dragster that showed up. So give him the money now, unless he breaks.
There are classes where the fastest car wins, but they are playing by the same rules for weights, cubes, etc.

We did have 1 class here that was "heads up" no breakout in the mid 1990's to around 2004 I think with rules that equaled the cars out, N/A and N02 cars called Super Modified, the cars got too fast for a 7.50 tag and it died out as most went on to PM, there's still a few around who now run in C/E. Shame I missed the years it was run. One of my old buddies from way back still runs an old SM car in C/E today which is a 2500lb scorpio with a stock BB based 461 chevy motor, old ally heads, 2 ancient Dommies a class legal for then .600" cam, 4 spd Lenco and a 5lb bottle with 500psi pressure and a 2 cheater solenoid system and runs consistent 7.40's with a 7.34@184 best and 60's in the 1.06's.

Last edited:
Well, this wouldn't bode well in drag racing. 90 racers show up, all take 1 trial pass and you know who the winner is, most likely a low 7 second dragster that showed up. So give him the money now, unless he breaks.
There are classes where the fastest car wins, but they are playing by the same rules for weights, cubes, etc.
True

Last edited:
Well, this wouldn't bode well in drag racing. 90 racers show up, all take 1 trial pass and you know who the winner is, most likely a low 7 second dragster that showed up.

Don't quite understand your comment that in the super classes 8.90..9.90 or 10.90 ...the fastest car wins?....no matter how fast (mph) they are, they can not run under the class index.

dragster are only legal in super comp...not super gas or super street.

Don't quite understand your comment that in the super classes 8.90..9.90 or 10.90 ...the fastest car wins?....no matter how fast (mph) they are, they can not run under the class index.

dragster are only legal in super comp...not super gas or super street.
Please read the post in which I was responding. The statement was "he likes it when they race to see who can get through the 1/4 the fastest (quickest). In other words, he likes heads up racing. I just explained that it wouldn't work, because there would be no need to even show up with a 10 or 11 second car. The winner would be determined in the first trial run round.

I see what happened. 318willrun used "90" as a random quantity of racers showing up at a heads-up race in his post, not ".90 racers", which was misinterpreted by 70aarcuda as the 3 different .90 classes that were talked about earler.

A different number would have been a better choice and then the "point" in 90 was not noticed as actually the end of the previous sentence.

I screw up like that too sometimes when I speed read

i know you meed points from div races to run in those 10.90 super street and 9.90 super gas classs,plus you car needs to meet tech.plus you need a lic to run also,small tracks have index class where anyone can race,anywhere from 5.50-10.0,mostly now its for street cars,can be a lot of fun and anyone can race in it,i love index racing,local track bonne terre was all they did when track open few years ago till a racer showed them how to use there timing equipment,now all they do is bracket,small front tires and transbrakes is good to cut a good light

I just explained that it wouldn't work, because there would be no need to even show up with a 10 or 11 second car. The winner would be determined in the first trial run round.

Exactly, this is what I've been trying to suggest here, a Heads Up no b/out class BUT with some rules (we don't like rules over here!), you gotta equal the cars out somehow otherwise its a waste of time. Well they did it with "Super Modified" as I mentioned previously, why can't similar w/b rules be applied to slower cars so we can have some "real" racing. Of course it would need a bit more Tech than just safety and thats where the issue could be, gotta be possible though with a formula, wouldn't you guys rather race/watch that. Twice a year we have a "Top Sportsman" event with anything with doors and a £1000 as a prize, no rules at all cept safety, its ludicrous, this year was won by a Pro Mod late entry car that ran 6.5@219, closest ET to that was over 1 sec off.

^^^ but my favorite drag racing to watch is the street cars during time trials. All heads up and street driven cars in street form.
:thumbsup:

-
Back