Brake Drums?

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Anybody know if there is a 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern brake drum for an 1 3/4 wide shoe?
I'm changing Axles & need to come up with drums to fit the 1 3/4 shoes.

I can't say for sure whether or not there would be any interference between the back side of the drums and the backing plates, but the 87-89 Jeep Cherokee rear drums are 10 x 1.75. This is assuming you need 10" diameter.

I believe the 1-3/4" drums were sbp only. Why dont you upgrade to 10x2 if your changing axles?

The 10 X 1 3/4 brake drums were factory fitted to the Abody 8 3/4 SBP rear that came in the factory 1965-72 340 cars, and other 1965-72 Abodies.

AFAIK the 10 X 1 3/4 drums were only made for the SBP Abody 8 3/4 rear.

I'm going to be changing my small bolt axles too. I heard you can have the drums redrilled, but I don't know much about this stuff. I'd rather put on bigger brakes. What parts will I need and where do I get them ?

Anybody know if there is a 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern brake drum for an 1 3/4 wide shoe?
I'm changing Axles & need to come up with drums to fit the 1 3/4 shoes.

your gonna have to get a set of brakes from a large bolt pattern car.

So the 10 inch brakes on a 7&1/4 rear were 1&1/2 wide ?
Wouldn't a modern , more agressive brake linning serve the same purpose ?
( can't get the OEM asbestos linning anyway ). A larger diameter wheel cylinder bore will make a difference too , if there is a simple interchange there.

you can't open the register up to the big bolt pattern axles, the axle flange is to big in diameter. the drum will not seat on the flange. that had been my first plan.
i don't mind buying new drums, the jeep ones sound like something to try.
it would make better sense to upgrade to the 10x2 1/4 shoes, but i'm having a tough time findind later model cars to get some. everything is being crushed.
thanks for the input guys.

Need to upgrade to 10x2 also drums and backing plates have to be changed. I jst did the upgrade

I tell you what the stock SBP seems to be a pain in the butt. What about Disc brakes??

I've got a couple complete sets of lbp 10x2 brakes, should work for you.

The most important thing to remember about axle swapping is that stock A body axles HAVE to use stock A body backing plates and drums. If you redrill the A body axles to LBP you have to redrill the drums too. You CANNOT use B/C/E body backing plates and drums with A body axles (even redrilled!)

The A body axle has a different offset and it is matched by the A body backing plate offset.

If you use aftermarket axles or cut down B/C/E/ body axles, then you have to use B/C/E body backing plates and drums.

-
Back