Brake fluid got on painted firewall, what to clean with?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Brake fluid dripped on basecoat/clearcoat painted firewall. Are there any tricks to get the gray streeks out? Thanks

Brake fluid will go right through fresh paint. You'll probably need to sand and repaint the clearcoat atleast.
My car was painted with single stage in 92. The master cylinder went out during the drive home. I still have the previous owners palm print on top of the left fender today.
I'd be much happier if the damage was on the firewall instead. Good luck

OUCH...it usually takes the clear right off down to the base...I'd take some 1500 or 2000 and some really soapy water and hit it with that but not too hard as the base is probably exposed.
You just want to take off some of the unhappy clear...if you try and take it all off you'll hit base.

Sorry to hear of this .

One way to avoid brake fluid's damaging effects is to swap to DOT 5 silicone fluid , as it doesn't damage paint , and it's superior to 'conventional' DOT 3 & DOT 4 fluids .

As far as the existing damage :
The advice given thusfar is good , and about the only thing you can do .

Best of luck ! Keep us posted .

Ya gotta love brake fluid.
I know this won't help you now, but I have found that if you spill brake fluid on a painted surface, wash it down with glass cleaner. I use Spray-A-way glass cleaner.
It is in an areosol can and foams up which I think helps lift the offending fluid off of the paint.

-
Back