brake help please

-

silver fox

Reaction score
history. the duster(73) has not moved to much, life has been busy I went to take for a short drive after I used the brakes I noticed the front's were dragging(dics) so I thought lack of use & age the pin's or piston's might be seizing up so I pulled the caliper off lubed the pin's applied the brakes to see if the piston's moved they did. I moved pushed the piston back replaced the shoe's & caliper when I applied the brake's I got some pedal and caliper gave pressure to the rotor the when I applied the second pedal went to the floor & no pressure to the rotor after waiting about five min. tried again I got some pedal first pump nothing the second time thinking air in line's waited then applied brake loosened bleeder fluid shot out second pump nothing. now thinking back one time when I pushed the pedal I heard a loud sound like a spring breaking & the pedal just dropped hitting the brake switch causing the break light's to stay on. thinking it might be I master problem (manual)I removed it on the bench applied pressure to the piston it has pressure when I pushed it in shot fluid out the lines & spring's back, is it time for new master , why after waiting some time would I have pedal then nothing thank's

Failing MC's are like that, sometimes sink sometimes hold. If you don't flush thru new brake fluid every 3 years where you live you will likely get internal rust which causes leaks and tears seals, unless you use DOT 5 (silicone).

I think rotors will often drag after sitting for years, due to surface rust, but sounds like that cleared up quickly.

The brake pedal comes up to push open the lamp switch, so the dropping pedal didn't hit it.

thank's for the reply I think i'll replace the mc & flush the system with dot 5 I placed the mc on bench pushed the piston shot out fluid and sprang back but after sitting for the year's i'll replace to be sure thank's again

thank's for the reply I think i'll replace the mc & flush the system with dot 5 I placed the mc on bench pushed the piston shot out fluid and sprang back but after sitting for the year's i'll replace to be sure thank's again

Before you pull anything apart,, maybe pump the brake pedal ( cap on) a buncha times and see if the fluid level dissappears in either reservoir.. You coulda blown something somewhere else, a rusted steel line,, a wheel cyl,, or rubber hose, which will also allow the pedal to fall..

If the reservoir remains full,, it's likely the M/C as mentioned,, but I would just look under the car for any fluid on the floor,, and maybe pull the wheels for inspection, clean the spider webs out,, and adjust the rear brakes while you're there... jmo

cheers..

-
Back