brake issue

-
Take some wd40 or your favorite product and spray down the outside of the cable housings wipe off, repeat several times. Then soak them down let sit overnight soak again and start flexing the housings to get the oil inside. This usually will work.
i ordered a new cable and installed it, it all works properly now thanks for everyones help

I would "get serious."
Pull EVERYTHING on the rear apart both sides, lay it out and carefully inspect EVERYTHING

1...Drums.....have they been turned or new? Do internal surfaces appear consistent, undamaged, no "chatter" marks and so on? TRY SWAPPING them side to side, see if the problem follows
2...Take shoes compare them for type and length of material, oil or other liquids, and lay them on a table looking for 'warp" damage.
3...Inspect all springs and other hardware for uniformity. Inspect cylinder pushrods, are they all the same, same length?
4....Did you replace both cylinders? Inspect for free operation. MAYBE it's not so much one side grabbing as maybe the opposite side is STUCK and not working
5....Take shoes and lay them into both drums looking for radius "fit" Shoes and drums must be matched. In the old days shoes were "arced." on a machine. If the drums have been turned (or even if new and improperly finished) or if the lining is incorrect, installed wrong, wrongly shimmed, etc, and they don't fit, this can be a big problem.

Most obnoxious grabbing situations I've encountered have been "fairly obvious." That is, not too difficult to find. But there are exceptions.

============================================

Years ago a then friend bought a brand new CJ-5, ?75-77? Don't remember. Straight six, he would have bought it WITHOUT an engine. He later put a screamin SB Chev in the thing, Ford top loader, 44 front, Ford 9" rear I think, aftermarket axles.
ANYway when it was new, it started turning right on a hard stop. The dealer first balked, then finally replaced a bunch of stuff. At one point his partner took the owner!!! of the Jeep dealer for a ride. They were (likely speeding) down a back street and he damn near wiped out some mailboxes while demonstrating the problem. I think they eventually replaced the entire rear axle complete. No idea, the cause

Last edited:
-
Back