brake light problem

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I pulled the Duster out of the garage today going to a car show and for the first time ever the brake dummy light in the dash cluster came on. I checked the reservoir again to see if I had a leak since yesterday and it was full. I have no leaks anywhere and brakes are fine. I run down the road and the light will come on and sometimes flutter some and sometimes it will go off and stay off. then all of a sudden with no warning, it will come on and start fluttering again. Is this a brake switch problem, loose wiring problem or what. I have no emergency brake on this car so it isn't the ebrake coming on a little. I take my foot and raise the brake pedal up and no change. has anyone ever experienced this problem and can steer me in the right direction before I start looking. I do have a line lock on the floor shifter.thanks,Bill

Check the electrical connections on the proportioning valve and brake switch for corrosion or loose connections or the brake switch mounting could be loose.

That light probably comes on when using your line locks too - right?

Anyway, your master cylinder would be my first place to check.

I know mine doesn't.

Do you have yours installed so that to use it, you hold down the button and hold on the brake or do your step on the brake, then hit the button and release the brake?

I've only used mine in the latter way. Maybe I should try it the other? It's been 13 years since I installed it and I don't recall which line I placed it in.

I apply the brakes, push and hold the button and release the pedal. Front wheels are locked.

Oh, I'll bet your switch is after the proportionng valve. Mine is before the PV, so it holds pressure in the front lines that the PV sees.

I put my switch in the line from the MC since it would be the easiest to replace if I ever wanted to eliminate the line locks.

Unplug the sender wire at the valve and see if the problem goes away

Don't forget -- it could be the parking brake switch too!!!!

Even if you don't have a park brake mechanism, the wire that went to that switch is likely still under there somewhere. If it touches anything metal the lamp will come on.

So did I. MC to lock to distribution block, front side.

So in use, the PV sees the pressure in the front lines and none in the rear - so why doesn't your brake warning light light up? It should IMO. Are you sure it works?

I think redfish is on to something. I just removed the kick panel to sand it down and dye it again because of some scratches in it and I noticed a wire that had a plug type terminal on it that was loose. I just tucked it behind the kick panel. I bet it is touching something. I will check that when I get home from church tomorrow. It didn't do that till I removed the kick panel. Thanks guys, I will update you on what I find. Bill

well, I thought about air. but the problem when youtroubleshoot a problem is what has changed. I never had this problem on the last 150 mile trip. I pull in the garage and back out of the garage a week later and I have a problem. what have I messed with. I pulled the kick panel to repaint it because I scratched it a little with my left foot while driving. I remembered a wire hanging down when I put it back on and thought, wonder what this goes to. I didn't unplug anything so I will just tuck it back under the kick panel. Duh..... It went to the ebrake which I don't have on this car. that is the only thing I have messed with so I am betting now that is where its at. I will pull it out, tape it and tuck it. Thanks Redfish. As far as the line lock goes. I press on the brake,hit the button on the shifter and let off of the brake to set it. then "MOPAR".
Mash
On
Pedal
Annilate
Rubber
HeHe......not really. I have too much stuff in the trunk for the shows that it would be all over the trunk if I did that.

went out and played with the wire hanging behind the kick panel the went to the ebrake assy and that was the problem. I taped the end and stuffed it back in its hole and problem fixed. thanks guys for the help with this. I was starting to wonder what this could be. usually it is a sign of low fluid but that was full. I never thought it would be a wire I unhooked 10 years ago.

-
Back