brake light switch mounting?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
mine is just hanging not mounted courtesy of previous owner. does anyone have a picture of how it is installed?

thanks tom

ok thanks. i dont have the bracket. do they remake those or do i have to search a junk yard.

thanks

I found this thread searching for an answer to my problem...and now I'm only more confused. Recently, I realized my brake lights were stuck on, and I thought my switch had gone out. I ducked under the dash to investigate and found the switch mounted there, in the bracket, everything tight, but it's not touching the pedal! I mean, it's not even coming close! How it EVER worked where it is is a complete mystery. The bracket doesn't look bent, and the switch looks to be installed correctly. Is there something that maybe goes BETWEEN the switch and the pedal, that might have fallen off? I can't really tell in the pic.

Thanks!

Mike

I found this thread searching for an answer to my problem...and now I'm only more confused. Recently, I realized my brake lights were stuck on, and I thought my switch had gone out. I ducked under the dash to investigate and found the switch mounted there, in the bracket, everything tight, but it's not touching the pedal! I mean, it's not even coming close! How it EVER worked where it is is a complete mystery. The bracket doesn't look bent, and the switch looks to be installed correctly. Is there something that maybe goes BETWEEN the switch and the pedal, that might have fallen off? I can't really tell in the pic.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, the way the brake lights work is when the brake pedal is pushed, the pedal moves away from the switch. When you let off the brake the brake pedal "arm" comes up and pushes on the switch. There are also 2 types of switches...the one in the pic and then there is one that is threaded and has a nut on it. The threaded one in my opinion is easier for adjustment. Readily available for about $3 at your local jobber.

Mike,
Is your brake switch as far forward as the slot allows? If so, it sounds like either you have the wrong PN installed or your brake pedal is not coming back far enough (how does it align with the accelerator pedal?). If the later, investigate your master cylinder and mounting. Perhaps you have a power MC & rod in a manual brakes car, or maybe a later 2 - hole MC with an adapter plate which moves it out farther. I assume somebody unplugged the switch, otherwise your brakes lights would always be on.

Mike,
Is your brake switch as far forward as the slot allows? If so, it sounds like either you have the wrong PN installed or your brake pedal is not coming back far enough (how does it align with the accelerator pedal?). If the later, investigate your master cylinder and mounting. Perhaps you have a power MC & rod in a manual brakes car, or maybe a later 2 - hole MC with an adapter plate which moves it out farther. I assume somebody unplugged the switch, otherwise your brakes lights would always be on.

"I realized my brake lights were stuck on"
It was back a post or two Bill

Here is a pic of the threaded style

That's the ticket Steve.
They also make an HD version exactly like it that carries more amps.

That's the exact switch, but I don't remember the dang part number.

Oops

The internet hickuped on me and it double posted

Thanks for the responses guys. It WAS out of adjustment, but the bolt was tight (can't figure out how that happened). I loosened it, moved it up to where it should have been touching the pedal, and noticed it was about half an inch too far to the right!

It turned out the bracket was slightly bent, after all. Something must have really yanked up hard on the brake pedal to bend that bracket and shove it out of position witih the bolt tight like it was. I had it towed the last time it killed over on me on the interstate, and prior to that, the brake lights worked fine. I wonder if the tow-truck driver did it somehow? I have no idea how or why, but whatever...it's fixed now. Thanks again!

-
Back