Brake lights inoperative

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hi guys, my brake lights are suddenly not operating on the 70 Duster.

My tail lights and turn signals do work, so i was suspecting the switch, so i replaced it. Still no brake lights. It got to dark to continue.

I know the wires go into the harness and go down to the connector behind the kick panel, but since the tail lights and turn signals work i am assuming its a problem in the wires somewhere from the switch to the harness itself, would this be correct?

oh and i replaced both 1157 bulbs

Did you check for power at the brake light switch? The brake light switch feeds THROUGH the turn signal switch, so if the turn signals work, it's a problem "up front."

(Not a problem in the kick panel, that connector is coming OUT of the turn switch, on the way to the rear)

Either the turn switch, the connector going up into the column, the brake light switch or no power to it, etc. You have a diagram?

Thanks for the reply 67, yes the turn signals work, including the fender lights, the rear and the front and the dash.

I will check for power at the switch, didnt have time to check last night. I have the diagram from MyMopar

I will check for power this morning.

You can have power at the brake light switch and out of that switch when the pedal is pressed. The power travles a off white wire into the turn signal switch connector and up the steering column and through that switch. If the signal switch is at fault you will have turn signals but no brake lights.
Testing, igbition switch off. put a jumper in the brake light pedal switch so you dont need to hold the pedal down. Use a test light to see if there is power going up the off white. You should also find powercoming back down on yellow and green wires when the signal switch is in its center/ neutral position.

its probably the turn signal switch, power at both ends of the brake light switch, power at the white wire on both sides of the connector, no power coming back from the greenish wire, gonna look inside to see if there is a easy ground fix before replacing the switch.

look inside to see if there is a easy ground fix before replacing the switch.

There's no "ground" that will affect this except back at the lamp sockets, and the turn signals work, so that's out.

If you have brake light switch power going INTO the turn signal switch, and nothing going to the rear lamps, then it's the turn sig. switch, plain and simple.

Does that thing have the 4 way switch on the column? You might "cycle" it in/ out (a bit of the old in and out?) a few times.

4 way switch? You mean the flashers? Yes it does, havent used them yet, i will check later

Its not a greenish wire, its a green, and a yellow. Same wires you would see in a trailer harness.
Signal switches for any vehicle have always been a dealer item so...
When a customer would stop in the auto service center with this problem we would seperate the signal harness connector and jumper the 3 wires together so they could drive on without signals , flashers, horn, etc.. with scheduled apointment to return for proper service/repair.

Same thing happened to me on Charger I once had. Pulled the steering wheel, did some cleaning of the turn signal cams and it worked fine after that. There are these little brass "prongs" that need cleaning with light grit sand paper. Also had to bend them a little so they would make good contact. Might not be causing your problem but that was the solution for me.

Sorry been moving havent had time to check things, got a great garage now though. I took the steering wheel apart today, Power is coming from the wire into the switch when the pedal is pressed, no power out but when the hazzards are turned on, the test light flashes on the wire out but the flashers dont work in the back, but the signals still work, still the switch i assume

So how hard is it to replace the switch?
Does the steering wheel need to be pulled ,I believe am in the same situation..and how much should one pay for the switch would the local parts store have it like Auto Zone etc or does it need to be ordered

-
Back