Brake Lights Stay On, '97 Dakota-Help

-

Darwin

Evolutionary Member
Reaction score
Electrical problems are not my fortee.
My son has a 97 Dakota that has had electric issues in the past, wouldn't start, no spark at ignition, long story short, the problem has something to do with the factory alarm. Last time I had it in to my regular mechanic they ended up somehow bypassing (not disabling) the alarm system, since then the horn does not work at all. I'm not comfortable taking it back to them as they had the truck for two weeks last time and I don't think they figured it out.
Starting today, the brake lights stay on ALL THE TIME. Could these issues be related or might I just need a new brake light switch?
I know it is nearly impossible to diagnose electric issues on this forum but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

i work for dodge for 17 years as a technician. start by unpluging brake light switch,if lights go out,you need switch,if not have to go deeper.on horn its common when working on factory alarms to remove horn fuse,relay or unplug horn so don't have hear horn going off while working,posable they forgot to reconect?

Thanks Mike, I just ran out and unplugged and replugged the brake light switch and it seems to be working fine now. Maybe it was just a bad connection at the switch.

Thanks Mike, I just ran out and unplugged and replugged the brake light switch and it seems to be working fine now. Maybe it was just a bad connection at the switch.
that switch is on it's way out,contacts in switch are sticking and when you pluged back in they unstuck,may be fine for a day ,maybe forever. good luck them switches used to be a bit pricey.:cheers:

-
Back