brake line opinion

-

dan5354

Reaction score
I am wondering whether I need to replace my brake lines. The car was sitting for 15 years and seldom used. The front brake reservoir was dry when I checked it, the rear was full but the fluid was very dirty. I have decided to get rebuilt calipers and replace the rear wheel cylinders as well as the master cylinder, since they are rather inexpensive. My question is - do I need to replace the lines or can they be just flushed out and put in a synthetic fluid to help keep out moisture. The outside of the lines look to be in good shape, but there was a bunch of rust in the bottom of the master. The fittings up front are rusted and I can't get them loose even with a tubing wrench, but they could be cut and re-flared. Thanks

Mine sat for longer!! More like 25. I replaced everything!

I would replace them. At a minimum the rubber lines.

To put my 2 cents in on your question, yes I sure would go ahead and replace them. They may look to be in decent shape from the outside, but how do they look inside? That's one of those questions that you never quite know. They very well may be ok inside but that rust, slime and scale you found in the bottom of the master is surely caked and crusted on the inner walls of the lines. If it's within your budget, you should slip some nice clean new ones to go with your other fresh components. That's just my own personal opinion. :)

The reservoir being dry tells you there was a problem and the rust being pushed into the cylinders is never a good thing.My vote is put new in but it is up to you.I just like good brakes.

I would replace them. In the grand scheme, those line are pretty cheap.
Brake fluids absorbs moisture. The outside of the lines may look fine but you can't see the inside. How much time, money and hassle will you go through if a piece of rust cuts loose and causes a leaky seal? How much time, money and hassle (and more) will you go through if a brake line ruptures due to a thin spot caused by the rust.
Replace them; drive and stop with confidence!
C

If they ain't broke, don't fix them. Especially if they are rusted and you can't break them loose.... You will get yourself in a can of ****....

check the hoses for cracks and dry rot also...

Well it looks like the change 'em has it. I was leaning that way anyway. All the rubber hoses had to be replaced anyway. Thanks everyone

I agree with change them. Any moisture that formed would be inside the lines, so visual checking will not really help. Cheap insurance.

Well, things could go either way. Im all for changing them.
But, moisture settles in the lowest spot.So for me, if theres little to no rust in the rear cylinders, Id be tempted to leave the rear lines. The fronts are tricky. As the line goes down bellow the frame and then back up, it provides a perfect place for water to settle. However, the water requires oxygen to actually rust. So if the reservoir to the front was not empty,preventing oxygen from getting down there,then those lines may be fine also.
Im kinda with Krazy on this one.
I might be tempted to change out just the front loops under the frame.Nah,maybe not.
What you could do is drain all the fluid into a clear mason jar, including any flushing fluid. Then let it sit for a few days, and see if any water settles out.
Of course if youre going racing, your life may depend on those brakes being there for you.
And finally, yes, replace all the soft lines. No question about that.

If you gotta change them, do them all and be done with it...

(then you only have to bleed them once also...)

I gotta say Inline Tube sells a good product. The lines were all exactly like the old ones and fit up easily. I was thinking of going with Dot 5 brake fluid, but after some research decided it isn't the way to go unless you have a show car that rarely gets driven. I think that since the car sat so long and the rubber lines needed changing the little extra to do the rears was worth it. You should have seen the gunk in the bottom of the master. Thanks

If you gotta change them, do them all and be done with it...

That's better. Your first post concerned me, lol.

I would replace everything at least from the distribution block all the way through to the wheel cylinders, including the wheel cylinders..

That's better. Your first post concerned me, lol.

I would replace everything at least from the distribution block all the way through to the wheel cylinders, including the wheel cylinders..

If you have frozen rusted lines, then if you don't have to touch them, you shouldn't. If you do, then clean up the whole mess. Sometimes trying to just fix only one gets you started and then you get sucked in deeper and deeper. I will not re-use a steel line where the flats on the nut have stripped off trying to remove/install it to the point where you can only use vise-grips to tighten/loosen it. Then trying it not to pinch the line can be difficult. Time to replace the line with a new one...

If you try to just fix part of it, you usually end up getting into it deeper and deeper. If you have to go replace the steel lines, you may as well make sure that the rubber hoses are in good shape also.

That way you only have to bleed the brakes once.

-
Back