Brake line question

-

Wes

67Cuda
Reaction score
I'm using the stock proportioning valve with my disc\drum combo.

All my brake lines have 3/16" connections. I've had to use a couple adapters on the prop valve for certain lines but nothing major.
The big problem I have is this, the master cylinder (rear) outlet is 1/2" and the prop valve inlet is 3/16".

I have not been able to find an adapter that goes from 3/16 to 1/2". Do I need a different MC or just a bigger brake line?

Its a special fitting that goes into the MC. 1/2 " threads but for a 3/16 line. Probably get one at a well stocked NAPA or try inlinetube.com they carry a bunch of different ones.

Larry

Wes,

First of all, what year car are you working on ?

Are you sure you have your connections right ?

The rear outlet on the MC is for the front brakes, and the front outlet of the MC operates the backs.

The 1/2" line goes to the top of the proportioning valve, which should be the same size threads.

Not sure why you would need any adapters.

Should look something like this.

faucet pics 663.jpg

JD,

67 cuda

I'm pretty sure I have them right. Mine looks just like what you have drawn.
The front outlet (rear brakes) is 1/2", the corresponding port on the prop valve is 3/16".
The rear outlet (front brakes) is 3/8", the corresponding port on the prop valve is 3/8".

For the front brakes, I just bought a 3/8" line.

I bought mine at Pep boys...

The guys at my Pepboys said they didn't carry any adapters. :angry7: When I said proportioning valve he looked at me like I was nuts.
I found the adapters but they didn't have anything I needed.

Try Ace Hardware. They have a good selection of adapters in the plumbing dept.

I'm running by NAPA and Ace during lunch today guys, I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks!

JD,

67 cuda

I'm pretty sure I have them right. Mine looks just like what you have drawn.
The front outlet (rear brakes) is 1/2", the corresponding port on the prop valve is 3/16".
The rear outlet (front brakes) is 3/8", the corresponding port on the prop valve is 3/8".

For the front brakes, I just bought a 3/8" line.

Are you working with 4 piston small bolt Kelsey Hayes disc's.
Which master cylinder are you working with ?

Honestly JD, not sure what the discs are. Haven't got that far yet.

MC is a Bendix from Advance Auto.

I bought the a small 6 inch section of brake line with the correct fittings just for the 1/2" fittings. I cut the flare off my bent line and installed the correct fittings. Re-flared the my brake line with the correct fittings. I will check if i have an extra.
hkeller

I stopped by NAPA and those guys hooked me up with everything I needed.
The correct Master Cylinder and the correct fittings.

Thanks for the help guys.
Wes

I bought the a small 6 inch section of brake line with the correct fittings just for the 1/2" fittings. I cut the flare off my bent line and installed the correct fittings. Re-flared the my brake line with the correct fittings. I will check if i have an extra.
hkeller

ditto,,,,did exactly the same thing,,,,even bought a hydrolic flaring tool cuzz i was doing the whole car from front to back

Just asked the same question before I found this one, good info! Here is my setup with a modern Jeep combo valve with stock 3/16 '65 lines. Just custom lines to the valve from new M/C and 1 adapter for the rear brake port.
brakes.jpg

Here are some fitting part numbers:

Adapters:
9/16-18 rear brake M/C fitting to 3/16 brake line (3/8-24 male thread): NAPA BK6413311
1/2-20 front brake M/C fitting to 3/16 brake line: (3/8-24 male thread) NAPA BK6413305 or BLF20C
7/16-24 prop valve rear brake inlet to 3/16 line: (3/8-24 male thread) NAPA unknown (hard to search that site)

Flared 3/16 tube nuts:
1/2-20 TN04 Green
9/16-18 TN07 Olive
7/16-24 ---- Red

-
Back