Brake line too close to header tube?

-

Dusterdenovo

Contentedly Old School
Reaction score
My #7 header tube is sitting about 1/4" from my rear main brake line, along the frame rail just behind the distribution block.

Is this likely to cause problems? Would wrapping the brake line with woven thermal protection be good enough?

20180124_132454.jpg

That’s close! You can install a fire sleeve like the do for spark plug wires to close to a header tube. Even though you can’t sleeve it easy, wrap it up and use zip ties farther away from the heat source. Wrap it around or fold it over and gain some peace of mind.

I haad the same issue on my older dart. I wrapped it with sleeve material that is supposed to be good to 1500*. Im hoping it works out ok but dont have it on the street yet. The biggest worry I would think will be when your sitting still and idling. but even then I think you will be fine.
Rod

way too close for comfort... when I got my tti headers it was written in the instructions clearly the proportioning valve would need to be moved to prevent what you have there. it is a pita. but I had my motor out,so it was easy. If you can ? move it..

Thanks for the input, Gentlemen.

Well, I did a bit of both.

I have a Prop valve under the Driver's seat, so the line from that to the Distribution block was fairly short, although it weaves through just about everything under there as if it grew there. I disconnected the line and slid it back so I could put an extra little wow in it. In hindsight, I should have wrestled it all the way out and tuned it up on the workbench instead of under the car but....

The extra bends moved the line out about 3/8" or so, which is still less than the 1/2" TTI says is required.

While the line was loose, I slid a piece of the thermal sleeve (1200*) over the line. I have some S/S zip ties, so I'll use a few of those to hold it in place, after I bleed the brakes and do one more check for leaks.

Hoping for Fire-up in Feb or March, so will add this to the list of things I'll be watching very closely.

7 tube 3.jpg

7 tube 4.jpg
7 tube 5.jpg
7 tube 6.jpg

That’s close! You can install a fire sleeve like the do for spark plug wires to close to a header tube. Even though you can’t sleeve it easy, wrap it up and use zip ties farther away from the heat source. Wrap it around or fold it over and gain some peace of mind.
Yep, too close.
It could, can, be that close if it were a over axle tail pipe. Definitely not okay near primary tubes.

-
Back