Brake or Clutch spring?

-
Reaction score
I’ve been working on my car on and off for the last few years. Finally getting to some of the brakes. Unfortunately when I originally got this car it was a basket case and literally the car was filled to the headliner and top of trunk with baskets. Without going too far in depth on a back story, I just wanted to point out that I’ve finally made it through alot if these boxes and figured out most of what I want to use or need and what I don’t or extras. My questions are, is there a brake spring, or is the spring I found for a manual car clutch(mine’s auto)? Can someone take a picture of their brake assembly in the car? I found the brake rod and half of an adjustable one so I’m left with using the factory one at this time. Being that tons of this car has been disassembled, it’s taken me longer trying to figure which way things go. The glovebox hinge was a doozy let me tell you! But right now I’m trying to get it where I can move it around on its own power (and stop it). Thanks in advance. Here’s some pictures of the spring and under the dash looking up.

8887910E-EAFA-4621-875F-2E87D8E4A2F8.jpeg

6E3465B9-F904-4E11-AE6D-EC8D94653D65.jpeg

FFD37A80-542C-40B4-AB14-8ECFF4CC3082.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that is the spring to hold your jack down in the trunk .. There is no spring on the brake pedal .. That is pushed back by the master cylinder ..

I'm pretty sure that is the spring to hold your jack down in the trunk .. There is no spring on the brake pedal .. That is pushed back by the master cylinder ..
Okay, good enough. Thanks for the response. Must’ve gotten tossed in the wrong box. Do you know if the rod gets ‘clicked in’ the master cylinder with the rubber around the rod? I’m just wondering cause you can lift up on the pedal right now (not seated), and seems as if the rod could fall out. That’s why I wondered about the spring originally. Thx

Do you know if the rod gets ‘clicked in’ the master cylinder with the rubber around the rod? I’m just wondering cause you can lift up on the pedal right now (not seated), and seems as if the rod could fall out. That’s why I wondered about the spring originally
How far can you lift up on the pedal?

My 67 dart I can lift up maybe an inch before I get resistance

Mine does not snap in but the brake light switch should prevent it from coming back far enough to fall out .. I actually wondered the same thing ..

Mine does not snap in but the brake light switch should prevent it from coming back far enough to fall out .. I actually wondered the same thing ..
I’ll have to look, but I was concerned about it falling out if I hit a hard bump. The pedal already seems rather high and isn’t making contact completely with the brake light switch. So it’ll need some tinkering.

How far can you lift up on the pedal?

My 67 dart I can lift up maybe an inch before I get resistance
It’s rather loose right now cause it needs tightened down and also the little rubber band gasket thing that goes around the end. The pedal lifts higher than Id expect but gets stopped by the brake switch. Sloppy right now until I get a new rubber. I was just concerned before I put it together wrong, so I consulted the a body pros. Thanks for the imput!

Mine also does not have a retainer for the brake push rod, but it seems like the brae light switch would keep it from moving too far to fall out.

I do see that Dr Diff sells a retainer, I might grab one and install it while my brake pedal is apart.

Mopar Manual Brake Push-Rod Retainer, Bushing, Clip Rubber Grommet
Exactly what I was stating but I called it a rubber band gasket, meant grommet so ya that should be what holds it in and I’ll be in business. Thanks!

-
Back