Brake pedal won't return

-

Yence78

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I need some help with my 1965 Baracuda.
The brake pedal won't return after being pushed it. It return for about an inch, but not all the way.
There are two springs on the inside of the firewall, but one of them seems out of place and I don't know how it should be.
Could someone please provide a picture of how it looks on your a-body.

I'd be grateful for any other ideas about the brake pedal ont returning.
Thanks.

I don't believe there should be any springs in the car for the brake pedal. Your pedal or master must be binding somewhere. I would check your pedal bushings. Could someone installed the springs to help fix the pedal issue in the past and its getting worse?

There's this spring but i'm not sure it's supposed to return the pedal all the way. I have a 67 b body that has that spring on it.

There is a special "shoulder" bolt that goes thru the pedal and pushrod.
Often the wrong bolt, or a washer was added, or just gunk gets on that bolt, and it binds on the return.
Try loosening the nut/bolt thru the pedal. If that eases the problem, find out why it's bindin and repair it.
Don't just leave the bolt loose, fix it.
Good luck

Hang on, here's another option;
if the pushrod, coming from the master cylinder is adjusted too long;
the compensating-Port will not work, and so, as the friction pads/shoes wear, the pedal will naturally sink ever lower, as more and more fluid from the power chamber, moves towards the slave cylinders, with no fresh compensating fluid coming in.

There's this spring but i'm not sure it's supposed to return the pedal all the way. I have a 67 b body that has that spring on it.

I did not know this; thanks for the lesson.

-
Back