Brake replacement/refresh question

-

BullsIgt

Reaction score
I have a 1964 Dart GT. I just bought the vehicle a week ago and I am starting to make it more road worthy. The car has front disc brakes and rear drums. The fronts need pads and probably new bearings. Did the Dart GT come with a factory disc brake option? If not, can anyone help me identify what these may have come out of (pictures below)? Also the drums will need to be rebuilt. All of the springs are old and brittle. Does anyone know where to get a complete rebuild kit? I found somethings on summit and rockauto but maybe there is a better option. Any input is much appreciated.
IMG_20130813_191255_920.jpg

IMG_20130813_191314_939.jpg

No factory disc in a bodies till 66. You have the 73+ BBP disc brake setup. If you get the 11.75" rotors and caliper adaptors you can upgrade those a bit but you'll need 15" wheels. Nothing wrong with the brake setup you got.

No factory disc in a bodies till 66. You have the 73+ BBP disc brake setup. If you get the 11.75" rotors and caliper adaptors you can upgrade those a bit but you'll need 15" wheels. Nothing wrong with the brake setup you got.

I figured that was the case. I have 15" wheels already. So at the parts store I should ask for pads/rotors/bearings for any 73+ a body? Where can I find the adaptors?

Also, the person I bought the car from bought this suspension rebuild kit . I assume these swaps required changing of the controls arms. Will the bushings and ball joints for the UCA and LCA from the kit still work with the UCA and LCA that are from the BBP swap? Im sorry if these are stupid questions I'm still a newbie.

The bushings are the same. The upper and lower ball joints are specific to the steering knuckle so you would need the 73 and up ball joints.
Previous owner may have ordered the kit in this arrangement. Only way to know is by part numbers or physical comparison ( try it on ).

Previous owner may have ordered the kit in this arrangement.Only way to know is by part numbers or physical comparison ( try it on ).
I doubt that he did. I spoke to him earlier today and he said he was unsure if the disc were factory options and that he never messed with the brakes. I just did a visual comparison and looks like the ball joints are definitely bigger on the car. Does anyone know the size for the ball joint socket for the larger ones?

Doing some research on these swaps I saw that you have to change the master cylinder as well. The car had a really hard time stopping prior to this, there was virtual no pedal and stopping going down hill was terrifying. I could contribute this to old fluid and air in the lines but is it possible that whoever did the swap did not change the MC? I posted pictures below so someone could possibly help me identify it.

Another thing I found is that some have said that the stock tie rod ends from earlier As will not work with the swap so should I just scrap any notion of using anything from the kit I have and just order a new kit for a 73+ A body?

I also wanted to thank all of you that have replied. You have been tremendously helpful.

IMG_20130813_225658_358.jpg

IMG_20130813_225710_255.jpg

I figured that was the case. I have 15" wheels already. So at the parts store I should ask for pads/rotors/bearings for any 73+ a body? Where can I find the adaptors?

Also, the person I bought the car from bought this suspension rebuild kit . I assume these swaps required changing of the controls arms. Will the bushings and ball joints for the UCA and LCA from the kit still work with the UCA and LCA that are from the BBP swap? Im sorry if these are stupid questions I'm still a newbie.

http://www.doctordiff.com/disc-brake-slider-caliper-mounts-backets-for-11-3-4-rotor-upgrade.html

In the process of doing a scarebird disc brake kit on my 67 GT and that looks like the master cylinder I used. I'm no expert but from what I have read, the disc/drum master cylinders have one big reservoir and one little reservoir where the drum/drum master cylinders have 2 equal sized reservoir.
Aaron

-
Back