Brake rotor cleaning

-

Sparky1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am getting my disk brakes installed and noticed that the rotors are slightly rusted and have some oil spots on them. What is the best way to clean them and is there a way to keep them from rusting.
Thanks,

you can take some sand paper to them. Be sure to move it around in circles though as you do not want to leave direction marks...think wax on, wax off lol.

You don't need to use a heavy grit as its just going to be surface rust...and really if its not badly rusted they will clean up the first few times you apply the brakes. For the oil spots take brake cleaner

you can take some sand paper to them. Be sure to move it around in circles though as you do not want to leave direction marks...think wax on, wax off lol.

You don't need to use a heavy grit as its just going to be surface rust...and really if its not badly rusted they will clean up the first few times you apply the brakes. For the oil spots take brake cleaner
Thanks - the rust is from this project just sitting too long inside and I was thinking of using steel wool and also using some brake cleaner to remove the oily areas.

Brake clean will get the oil off. That's one of the things it's designed for. I agree with the use of the fine sandpaper.

-
Back