Brake rotors for KH factory brakes made by Centric - critical review

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As I was finishing the front end on my 70 Dart GT, I completely rebuilt the factory KH brakes. That included rotors made by Centric that I got from Rock Auto. All new front end parts, rebuilt, and on one side, replaced hubs, with fresh bearings and seals, new rotors, new calipers, all new hard and soft lines, new distribution and proportioning valves. As I started to drive the car around the brakes felt and worked fine, but I had two problems: the dash brake light was on all the time (not related to the emergency brake system) and goes out when you push hard on the brakes, and starting at 35mph there was an annoying, persistent high pitched squeal. There was a bit of vibration when the brakes were applied, but not anything worrisome.

As has been described here many times, the edge of the piston boots on the caliper just barely hit the side of the 'hat' of the rotor. Having tried everything I could think of, I took it to a friend's repair shop where they have a brake lathe. I had them turn down the side of the hat just a bit to clear the boots. While the rotor was in the lathe, he put a dial indicator on the face of the disc. One rotor had a .010 dip in it, and the other had a .006 dip. He surfaced the discs and we put it all back together. No squeal and even the minimal vibration in the pedal was completely gone. Brakes work better than ever.

As I recall those rotors were quite inexpensive compared to lots of the parts I bought and I can't think of anything on the car that is more important than brakes. My suggestion is this: if you are using those rotors, mock them up to confirm if the boots hit the hat. If they do have then turned down and have the discs checked as true before moving forward. When you add what I paid for the rotors and for the machine work, it's just not worth it not to do it right as a part of the rebuild.

While the car was in the shop they vacuum bled the brakes (they had been hand bled twice), and whatever made the difference, the light comes on when you turn on the car, but just a bit of pedal pressure turns it out. I presume that the new distribution valve from In-Line Tube is faulty, so my next try is to send the original valve to a place that rebuilds them and swap them out. Other suggestions?

Sounds like the centering spring in the new distro block is bad , missing, or the piston is sticking.

I suggest that you sit in the car and position yourself (kinda sideways) so that you can jab the brake pedal squarely with a swift hard blow of your foot (Like you’re trying to push it through the floor, or a major panic stop etc and hold it there for a split second). Make sure you can do it without smoking your knee into the steering column or other lol.

This can ‘reset’ the proportioning valve to centre itself in the bore so that it does not have a pressure imbalance which triggers the light to come. It may take a couple of jabs…. Had the problem in an 81 corvette I owned and it cured it.

Last edited:
As I was finishing the front end on my 70 Dart GT, I completely rebuilt the factory KH brakes. That included rotors made by Centric that I got from Rock Auto. All new front end parts, rebuilt, and on one side, replaced hubs, with fresh bearings and seals, new rotors, new calipers, all new hard and soft lines, new distribution and proportioning valves. As I started to drive the car around the brakes felt and worked fine, but I had two problems: the dash brake light was on all the time (not related to the emergency brake system) and goes out when you push hard on the brakes, and starting at 35mph there was an annoying, persistent high pitched squeal. There was a bit of vibration when the brakes were applied, but not anything worrisome.

As has been described here many times, the edge of the piston boots on the caliper just barely hit the side of the 'hat' of the rotor. Having tried everything I could think of, I took it to a friend's repair shop where they have a brake lathe. I had them turn down the side of the hat just a bit to clear the boots. While the rotor was in the lathe, he put a dial indicator on the face of the disc. One rotor had a .010 dip in it, and the other had a .006 dip. He surfaced the discs and we put it all back together. No squeal and even the minimal vibration in the pedal was completely gone. Brakes work better than ever.

As I recall those rotors were quite inexpensive compared to lots of the parts I bought and I can't think of anything on the car that is more important than brakes. My suggestion is this: if you are using those rotors, mock them up to confirm if the boots hit the hat. If they do have then turned down and have the discs checked as true before moving forward. When you add what I paid for the rotors and for the machine work, it's just not worth it not to do it right as a part of the rebuild.

While the car was in the shop they vacuum bled the brakes (they had been hand bled twice), and whatever made the difference, the light comes on when you turn on the car, but just a bit of pedal pressure turns it out. I presume that the new distribution valve from In-Line Tube is faulty, so my next try is to send the original valve to a place that rebuilds them and swap them out. Other suggestions?
Had a similar problem after I replaced a master cylinder on a 71 duster. After many senerios of what went wrong it turned out to be the distribution block (item with the pressure switch) that was faulty. Replaced and the "brake system " light returned to normal. It was lighting up dimmer that when parking brakes were applied but still lit up. Apparently the internal piston or switch can get jammed or something and applying the brakes in a emergency stop senerio can possibly re-set. Not in my case.

I presume that the new distribution valve from In-Line Tube is faulty, so my next try is to send the original valve to a place that rebuilds them and swap them out. Other suggestions?
The 2 cars I drive a lot are a 68 cuda and 64 Valiant. Drivers NOT show cars.
I plumbed them eliminating the factory distribution valve. (Dual MC conversion on the 64) If I have a leak somewhere, it is pretty obvious without a red light telling me so.

I run the front brake MC output to a brass tee on the frame rail. Then one line to each front brake.

I run the rear MC output into an adjustable proportioning valve on the frame under the firewall, then to the rear brakes.

Simple and is adjustable for any future brake upgrades.

depending on the style of distribution block undoing the collar around the switch unit/ wire connector and allowing the switch section to move out a bit, allows the piston inside to move back to its middle position where both front a rear circuits work again.
once its has pinged one way or the other its not necessarily going to go back to the middle becasue it has locked off the circuit it thinks has a major leak in it or in the case of over vigourouse bleeding, the circuit that has the most air in it.

it pings and locks based on pressure imbalance and when it locks it blocks off the area with the lowest pressure.

Dave

it pings and locks based on pressure imbalance and when it locks it blocks off the area with the lowest pressure
That has not been my experiance.

There are two springs to balance the spindle if it moves to one side because of an imbalance it will self center when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

If the spindle is sticky due to machining, seals too large / not lubed etc that will cause it to stay to one side.

The switch is not really a switch it is a post the contacts the spindle which then grounds it.

Screenshot_20221031-201114.png

ahhhh subtley different from mine
mines in the master cylinder.... Australian with disc brakes
I learn something new every day :)
either way if it gets stuck might be viable hack to get it back where it should be

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
ahhhh subtley different from mine
mines in the master cylinder.... Australian with disc brakes
That's a new one for me too!

Never saw an integrated one, on any car I have had (Ford, Chevy, Chrysler)

So if you wanted a 4 bolt disk mastercylinder with the pipes coming out on the engine side (not great with a v8) and the ability to delete the distibution block totally or use its mounting for a brake bias an Aussie one would fit the bill. cost of shipping would probably spoil that plan. the brake servos are very similar also

-
Back