Brake shoes HELP!

-

Vandal

Reaction score
Hello everybody it’s been some time since I posted a question on here but I’m on need of some guidance.

I recently got my second MOPAR, it’s a 74 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318. My rear end recently locked up so instead of rebuilding it I decided to try and save a couple bucks and get a different rear end I found on Offer Up. It’s from a 68 Dart with a /6. It mounted right on and everything seemed fine until it was time to set up the shoes. I found out my old rear had 10” shoes and the one I swapped has 9”. The problem is when I find 9” shoes they are missing a hole for the lower spring that hold the shoes, can it be that the 68 springs are different if so does anyone have a photo of how it mounts? Thank you!

Hello everybody it’s been some time since I posted a question on here but I’m on need of some guidance.

I recently got my second MOPAR, it’s a 74 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318. My rear end recently locked up so instead of rebuilding it I decided to try and save a couple bucks and get a different rear end I found on Offer Up. It’s from a 68 Dart with a /6. It mounted right on and everything seemed fine until it was time to set up the shoes. I found out my old rear had 10” shoes and the one I swapped has 9”. The problem is when I find 9” shoes they are missing a hole for the lower spring that hold the shoes, can it be that the 68 springs are different if so does anyone have a photo of how it mounts? Thank you!

You may have a much bigger problem then that, if the 318 was original to that '74 then your bolt pattern on the '74 is 5x4.5". The bolt pattern on the '68, /6 rear end is 5x4".

You may have a much bigger problem then that, if the 318 was original to that '74 then your bolt pattern on the '74 is 5x4.5". The bolt pattern on the '68, /6 rear end is 5x4".
Yes sir i did notice that but I do have some original Steelies that fit perfect on it. ( finally a reason to bring out those gold old dog dishes)

Yes sir i did notice that but I do have some original Steelies that fit perfect on it. ( finally a reason to bring out those gold old dog dishes)

Seems like a massive step backward on all accounts. Downgrade the brakes, downgrade the bolt pattern, mismatched front and rear bolt patterns, and have less availability of brake parts too because the LBP brake stuff is much easier to find than the SBP stuff.

I mean if it was free I kinda get it if it gets you back on the road. But if you have to re-do the brakes and have tires mounted it wasn't free, even if the rear end was. Best of luck, I wouldn't mess with any of it, especially the 9" brakes.

Seems like a massive step backward on all accounts. Downgrade the brakes, downgrade the bolt pattern, mismatched front and rear bolt patterns, and have less availability of brake parts too because the LBP brake stuff is much easier to find than the SBP stuff.

I mean if it was free I kinda get it if it gets you back on the road. But if you have to re-do the brakes and have tires mounted it wasn't free, even if the rear end was. Best of luck, I wouldn't mess with any of it, especially the 9" brakes.
Yeah I’m already on the hunt for an 8 3/4 rear end witch so far I’ve came across 1 but it needs to be completely put together, for the mean time I just wanted to put this thing together to be able to move it around while I build a bigger tear for her. But I was able to find my good trusty manual and looks like I’ll be able to piece this thing together thanks anyways

Why not just swap the 10" brakes over?

2 sets of springs for 9 inch brakes

1 set is for deletion of the auto adjuster
1 set is for use with auto adjuster
In a standard set-up one end of 1 spring hooks into the auto adjuster and the adjuster lever is studded or hangs in a hole higher up.

this is a front brake but they all very similar. obvioulsy front brakes have no parking brake strut or pull lever pinned to the shoe

if it was an adjuster delete set up that bottom spring would be sligly different config bigger coils for ashorter distance and a longer hook end. it would reach easily the hole where the auto adjsuet lever hangs and it would have its coils configured so that the part of it that ran across the star adjuster was not part of the coiled section of the spring.

adjuster delete was used on cars that did circuit racing. if you had an "off", over gravel grass and hard standing, rolling backwards at speed, the action of stopping the car would not adjust the brakes up to BIND.

if you stretch a standard spring to fit without the adjuster the coils bind on the star wheel. rather than a straight sectoion to the hook end, and you have in general stretched it beyond its point of normal return. It does however work, if necessary

its a lockheed duo servo set up the same set up used on many car brands the world over

the 9 inch brakes are usually on six and small v8 cars and are just as likley to lock up when paired with disc brakes up front as their 10 and 11 inch cousins.
Foreign mopar markets (assembly rather than export) persistend with 9 inch until late 70s.
most were slant 6 hemi 6 and 273/318 markets
10 inch brakes came with the 360 in 76-78

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Because the 10” brakes are BBP and the 9” brakes are SBP. Axle flange offset is totally different.
In addition, the backing plates are different too, as are the axle shafts and bearings. Get shoes and hardware as a set so they will work together.

Because the 10” brakes are BBP and the 9” brakes are SBP. Axle flange offset is totally different.
Oh ok. I thought we were talking small bolt pattern. I missed that. My bad. Thanks.

Thank you guys for the answers, any chance you guys know if an 8 3/4 rear would bolt right into my 74 dart? I found one I might be able to get my hands on but he doesn’t have any info on what it came out of but he said he was planning on putting it in a b body

Thank you guys for the answers, any chance you guys know if an 8 3/4 rear would bolt right into my 74 dart? I found one I might be able to get my hands on but he doesn’t have any info on what it came out of but he said he was planning on putting it in a b body
Depends on which 8 3/4 you get, and what you're pulling out. Assuming you're pulling a 7 1/4 and if it's a factory A-body rear you're installing, it will fit right on the springs, but, it will have the small pattern, you will need the correct shock plates, and you'll probably have to shorten the driveshaft. If it's a '65-70 B-body rear, you'll need to move the spring perches, and need the shock plates too. The B-body rear will have the 4 1/2" bolt pattern for the wheels. It will also have a wider stance, so, you'll need to figure out which wheel/tire combo you'll be able to use. Just about any other 8 3/4 will be too wide for an A-body without weird custom wheels, offset springs, cutting wheel openings, or narrowing the rear end......or a combination thereof.

-
Back