Brake Shoes

-

Donnie514

Reaction score
Well in the OLD days a riveted set of Bendix was about the best you could buy. Nice firm pedal.
Bonded shoes were crap.
So tell me, can you still buy riveted shoes?
What is your thoughts riveted or bonded?

I have a spongy pedal. New bonded shoes. Soft, bad pedal.

Bonded or riveted shouldn't make any difference in the pedal feel. The shoe material will though. There was a thread about riveted shoes here just the other day. Use search and I bet you can find it.

Yes- an old"wives tale" was that riveted shoes were better because they transferred heat better. Bendix riveted were supposed to be the best. Not true today. Just buy the best quality you can.

Firm Feel has them with upgraded brake material.

Back in the day we would cam grind the shoe to match the drum diameter. It was the only way to get them to stop straight and have a firm pedal.

I had an ark grinder, you could buy 1st and 2nd oversize shoes also..as far as riveted and bonded shoes went the higher the friction material the more heat...so you needed rivets to hold the high friction material to the shoe because the bonding material could not take the heat...I sold american brakeblock and canadian brakeblock and Abex...the very best friction material was INR...for school bus and hi-perf...
Long time ago...

I have these all the way around on my 64 barracuda.Also found a picture of a Ammco shoe grinder.

Oops, forgot the pictures.

Ammco cam grinder.jpg

shoes1.jpg

shoes2.jpg

-
Back