Brakes distribution block/proportioning valve question

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
When I converted my Dart to the big cop car brakes, I just reused the distribution block, I never added a proportioning valve. Seeing the other thread brought this to the forefront.

I never felt like the front brakes were all that great. Is not having the proportioning valve part of the problem? They felt kinda mushy but would never really bleed air out.

dunno about "mushy", but the 2 things a proportioning valve does is 1) limits the max pressure to the rear brakes so they don't lock before the fronts and make the car unstable, and 2) has a delay in the pressure application to the front brakes, so the rear can take up their clearance and start braking first, which helps reduce nosedive. the mushy is probably due to air and need to rebleed. if you drained the MC fully, you may have to bleed that separately first to get all that air out.

Assuming your COP brakes are 4 wheel drums no proportioning valve is needed or was used.

Prop valve should not make them mushy Air in system, maybe adjustment, and maybe POOR FIT (arc) between shoes and drums.

-
Back