Brakes interchangeable for 8 1/4 & 8 3/4?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new 8 3/4. I have an 8 1/4 now with 10 x 2.5 drums and I was wondering if I could use those on a new rear end.

That's what I did with mine, 20 some years ago. Of course I'm assuming you're talking about a bbp 8 3/4.

Axles will not work. Backing plates will be a major hassel to get to work. Just buy the correct stuff.

Ebay has whole brake assemblies with drums for sale. Around $350. Go parts. hunting

I used the entire brake assembly of a 7 1/4 on my 8 3/4 using Dr. Diffs axles.
Fit with no modifications.

Complete 8 1/4 a body brake assemblies are a bolt on from drums to backing plates. Assuming your 8 3/4 housing is a body width, you then order a body big bolt pattern axles (dr diff is recommended) with you desired flavour of green or tapered roller bearings and bolt ot together. I have done this, it works great.

What Dave said. The 10” BBP brakes are all the same, 8.25 rear axle BBP brakes will bolt right on to an 8 3/4 as long as you’re using BBP axles in the 8 3/4. For that matter the BBP brakes can be exchanged from 7.25’s, 8.25’s, 8 3/4’s, and Dana 60’s. It’s only the SBP stuff that doesn’t interchange between axles.

What Dave said. The 10” BBP brakes are all the same, 8.25 rear axle BBP brakes will bolt right on to an 8 3/4 as long as you’re using BBP axles in the 8 3/4. For that matter the BBP brakes can be exchanged from 7.25’s, 8.25’s, 8 3/4’s, and Dana 60’s. It’s only the SBP stuff that doesn’t interchange between axles.

X2

Good to know

-
Back