Brakes on a Dart

-

Kevo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been slowly restoring a 1968 Dodge Dart (Originally a /6 with a 318 now) and have now had the need to push it a bit faster. My daily driver is in need of an off season (lots of things i need to fix that involves it not being road worthy for a few weeks at a time) and the last thing i really need to make the dart my daily driver are the brakes. I don't have disk brakes, all 4 wheels have drums, but i was wondering if i put in a brake booster if that could sub in for a bit (im not going to be racing it, just driving it around town). Anybody have experience with brake boosters? think it will be enough to get the car t stop?

As always, i greatly appreciate any and all of your help

-Kevin

In my personal experiences , non-assist disc brakes stop better vs. power-assist disc brakes.
Power-assist drums = wet cement , rubbery sensation . No bueno .

Save the funds for the power booster conversion and instead put that coin toward a '73 & later disc conversion .

yes. i think you should go with a manual 73-up disc setup. you'll be very happy.

Power drum brakes won’t stop the car any faster than manual drum brakes, they are still drum brakes. The only difference is foot force applied to brake pedal between the two.

Just make sure the drum brakes are fully functional, don’t’ tailgate because every vehicle in front of you can stop 30 to 40% shorter than your Dart, and save up for a disk conversion.

-
Back