Brakes sticking

-

partsman1965

Reaction score
I have 74 Dart Sport with fully new brake system except for the metering block. Front brake hang up. Right side hangs a little more then left. Block was clean and fluid flowed fine upon bleeding. Has anyone seen these lock up before? Also cahnged right caliper and hose even though they were only few months old.

Easy, jack up front end, apply brakes hard and go crack a bleeder. If it releases, its hydraulic, if not its a caliper.
If it is hydraulic, power brakes, may want to check m/c to booster and see if push rod is adjustable.
Make sure pedal is returning all the way up.

I installed a new master on my dart and the brakes hung like that. Found metal chips in the master cylinder from machining that were stopping the flow of fluid. Had to disassemble and clean everything.

Seems about a 50/50 situation here, The pedal doesn't return far enough to reach the brake lamp switch so the brake lamps go off OR
The brake lamp switch is blocking full pedal return so the brakes release.
Where factory adjustments won't cure , adjustable push rod will.

Thanks for all replies. Pedal does return all the way to top and brake lights goes off as should. Since this car has ne metering valve only the tee i think issue may be with the new master. I'm going to test a known good master and see if it helps.

Thanks for all replies. Pedal does return all the way to top and brake lights goes off as should. Since this car has ne metering valve only the tee i think issue may be with the new master. I'm going to test a known good master and see if it helps.
Did you test to prove in any way that the switch is not preventing full master cylinder return? Easy way is simply loosening the bolts mounting the master cylinder. Let the master move away from the firewall 1/8th inch or so and see if brakes release.

-
Back