Braking Help

-

jgmccrac

Reaction score
I have an issue with a braking problem. The car pulls mildly left. I have replaced flexible hoses, calipers, and pads (on both sides, even though I know the issue is supposed to be on the passenger side). While changing the calipers, I noticed the drivers side rotor was very difficult to spin. If I tighten the caliper bolts tight, the rotor wont spin, until I back off the caliper bolts a few turns. The only thing I haven't tried is new rotors and checking brake pressure at each caliper. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Jonas

Offhand I'd say bad caliper. Rebuilt? rough bore, rough piston, parts out of spec, etc.

Offhand I'd say bad caliper. Rebuilt? rough bore, rough piston, parts out of spec, etc.
I have tried two different ones from two different suppliers. I also had the suspension checked as well.

I'm having a similar issue right now on my passenger side trying to figure it out so please post up if you find something.

Will post pics tomorrow. I am running the 10.97" disc brake setup from a 73 Duster.

I think I figured out my issue. The caliper on the drivers side when installed on the bracket were touching on the top of the ears of the inboard pad, causing it to rock and to not fully seat on the bracket "ways". When I compared it to the passenger side, the ears on the inboard pad were not touching the caliper, allowing it to fully seat on the bracket. So when you tightened the retaining the clips, the caliper would press down the pad causing a binding effect on the rotor. The calipers are from Napa, and I will probably try to find different ones, but I also think the issue could have something to do with brackets, which I will also change. For now, I filed down the ears some, and I managed to get the caliper to fit properly. Now when the retaining clips are tightened down, the rotor spins more freely than before.

20200819_100633_HDR.jpg

20200819_101012_HDR.jpg

20200819_101004_HDR.jpg

20200819_100651_HDR.jpg

20200819_101000_HDR.jpg

It might be the angle of the photo, but, it looks like the ears on those inner pads aren't straight. I'd put the inner pads on the caliper bracket without the caliper, and make sure the pads will slide in and out freely. Same thing with the calipers, slide those back and forth without the pads to make sure they have free movement and full range. The caliper shouldn't pinch those inner pads either. The outer ones should be a slight pinch fit however. You can bend the ears on the other pads to keep the pad from moving and rattling in the caliper.

-
Back