break in oil

-
i ran comp cams oil and ordered from summit, last time i checked none of the auto stores around me had any

I order Valvoline VR-1 Not for Street Use from my local Car Quest... It's been a little while but it was somewhere around $8/qt - cs lot is 6 qts. This is NOT the VR-1 you get in local stores with the SAE starburst on the label.

What percentage of zinc (ZDDP) in the oil is acceptable for break in?

I just broke in my 440 with the Comp cams 30 weight break in and a jug of zinc rich Castrol high mileage 10 /40 with 100% success

Thanks for all the replies! I was always told to stay away from the additives and run a straight break in oil. Non one could explain why but just what I heard.

Also since the engine has no oil in it now should I buy 5 quarts? The oil pan is a 4 quart and 1 just in case after priming the pump and what not.

Thanks for all the replies! I was always told to stay away from the additives and run a straight break in oil. Non one could explain why but just what I heard.

Also since the engine has no oil in it now should I buy 5 quarts? The oil pan is a 4 quart and 1 just in case after priming the pump and what not.

Filter takes 1 as well......so five.....

Brad Penn is the business. Some say it's made from the risen zombies of the old Kendall refinery workers.

I'm going to chuck some AC Delco zinc into the SAE 30w on the 318 when it's ready. Just got my block back from the machine shop, so I can't report on it, yet, but that's the plan, man.

I use mobil 10w-30 with Hughes Extreme Pressure Additive for the flat tappet cam.....and make sure the cam is coated with moly lube......i think the oil goes 14.00 dollars for 5 qts at wally world.

I don't even know if its still available, but the old school ticket used to be straight 30w Wolfs Head oil. Something about their formulation I think!!

I used Joe Gibbs 10w30 and comp cams additive.I still put a bottle of it in every oil change.

-
Back