"Breaking-in" new tennis shoes

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Maybe some will be able to identify with this. Purchased some new tennis shoes that are actually advertised to be suitable for tennis play. Never played tennis the past couple of years, so just stored 'em in the closet and never wear them.

When I wore down my "walking" shoes, I got these official "tennis" shoes back out and decided to start wearing them day to day. I noticed when using public transportation and walking between all the various stops/stations this week while my car was in the shop (city bus, ferry, and BART), these "tennis" shoes seemed a little tight, especially the left shoe. I thought about how one foot was a little larger than the other (not sure which one) and how some shoe styles/brands run a little smaller for the given size on the box. When I arrived home yesterday, the toes on my left foot really felt smashed/squashed).

Woke up this morning and remembered another occasion (some years ago) when I had the same symptoms. In that case, I ended up finding some packing material in the toe section of both new shoes that I had failed to pull out. To end this long story, this morning found packing material in the extreme toe end of my new left tennis shoe, should be quite a relief.

i get that about once every two months...but in my case BOTH my shoes get to tight
its a good indicator that its time to cut my toenails

You can always stretch the shoes by using a broom handle. An old trick shoes stores used.

Once again: History repeats itself.

LMAO!!
Damn, somethings wrong with me. I can tell when the sock stitching is on the wrong side of my foot and I'm pulling my boot off to correct it.
I worked with a guy, actually good friend of mine. He ended up at work with 2 different colored tennis shoes on. lol

If you have to "break in" a pair of shoes you bought the wrong ones plain and simple.I buy New Balance 928V2's in a D width. They fit perfect right out of the box.

I tried to purchase a pair once with different sizes (i.e. 11 right and 11 1/2 left) because like most, one foot is bigger than the other, but salesperson would not accommodate me. I suppose I could buy two pair (one of each size and get my way). It might be a good option for an on-line store to mix and match like that. It might even out, if the trend for the larger foot worked out to 50/50 (left foot bigger vs. right foot bigger) in the general population.

Dr Scholls makes a great shoe all leather, available only in EEE width with the gel insole built into the shoe , unfortunately they also make dozens of different models of garbage shoes so you have to find the Shadow models.

Not to steal from you're story but I had similar experience. Just went thru TSA and wife and I were heading to our gate when I noticed my watch was missing from my wrist. Went back to security and my bin was still there but nothing in it. Talked to TSA and they hadn't found any watch, I mean only about 3 minutes had passed since going thru security and me noticing my watch missing. Also, I was the last person to go thru security as they closed our line and opened another. We looked around but couldn't find the watch (not a fancy watch, just cheap one I've had for about 20 years). As I was walking back to my wife I got to thinking how I usually put everything (wallet, keys, change, watch, phone, etc.) in a shoe. Without going into another long story, I have nerve damage in my feet and have no feeling in my toes. I took off my shoe and sure enough, there was my watch, in the toe of my shoe. Never felt a thing and when the wife asked if I found my watch I just responded, "yes".

Not to steal from you're story but I had similar experience. Just went thru TSA and wife and I were heading to our gate when I noticed my watch was missing from my wrist. Went back to security and my bin was still there but nothing in it. Talked to TSA and they hadn't found any watch, I mean only about 3 minutes had passed since going thru security and me noticing my watch missing. Also, I was the last person to go thru security as they closed our line and opened another. We looked around but couldn't find the watch (not a fancy watch, just cheap one I've had for about 20 years). As I was walking back to my wife I got to thinking how I usually put everything (wallet, keys, change, watch, phone, etc.) in a shoe. Without going into another long story, I have nerve damage in my feet and have no feeling in my toes. I took off my shoe and sure enough, there was my watch, in the toe of my shoe. Never felt a thing and when the wife asked if I found my watch I just responded, "yes".
Must have toemaine. Maybe you need a toetruck LOL

I leave my rubber boots in my shed, one day I slipped them on and found a dead mouse. Must be some bad foot stank to kill a mouse!!!!! Now I always flip them over and shake them out.

Put on my tennis shoes years ago and soon noticed EXTREME burning pain in one of my big toes. Found a honey bee had stung me, that toe burned/ached over a 24 hour period after that.

What a bunch of low life. Only the lowest of the low would steal anyway but during a crisis just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Put on my tennis shoes years ago and soon noticed EXTREME burning pain in one of my big toes. Found a honey bee had stung me, that toe burned/ached over a 24 hour period after that.
lucky it wasn`t a brown recluse or black widow , scary ! Always check anything left in the garage, even my welding hood !

What a bunch of low life. Only the lowest of the low would steel anyway but during a crisis just doesn't cut it.
Amazing how as soon as the lights go out the looting starts, seemingly by people who use those stores on a regular basis. Do they really think they are improving the hood by doing so?

-
Back