Brewer's swap vs Sourcing Parts

-

dhalla

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking about converting my 727 auto to a a833 4 spd using Brewer's kit. For those who have done it with the kit was it worth the price or can it be done for a significantly cheaper cost buy sourcing parts by myself? If so are the parts readily available?

Thanks

Starting at $3,995 I would think you could do it cheaper. Although you would know the quality and completeness would be there. What car and engine are we talking about?

Did mine for $1.8k. Scrounged all of the "correct" parts from here and there. Paid $300 for the trans and bell. Rebuilt the trans w/Passon parts ($275 for 2nd gear, OUCH!!!), picked up a hump for $70, CF II from Brewers, blasted and painted parts myself, and did the install myself. I'm sure it can for a few bucks cheaper.

It's usually around 2 grand if you do it right, as long as you get the trans for the right price everything else is available from a number of sources, but I prefer Brewers , great people, and very helpful! pedal's, and other item's needed are pretty easy to find

Starting at $3,995 I would think you could do it cheaper. Although you would know the quality and completeness would be there. What car and engine are we talking about?

The car is a 1969 Dart. They quoted me north of 3,995 but not by too much.

I have the complete setup from my duster restoration I also have a couple of consoles and rare console shifter, Push down and over for reverse. I have every nut bolt and clip. Trans has been gone through and there is two. Rare heavy flywheel from a 68 cut and ready to install. both style pedal assemblies. I also have the complete floor with console brackets. Yes the reverse light wires are here. Shoot me an offer all I can say is no. I am 1 1/2 hrs from you in Pa.

Attachments

• DSCF0236[1].jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 821
  • DSCF0280[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 719
  • Picture 417.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 697
  • Picture 418.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 679
  • Picture 037.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 694
I think I have access to a b-body a833 that has been rebuilt for $1000. Could negotiate probably.

Is there a guide to the necessary parts somewhere?

I have the complete setup from my duster restoration I also have a couple of consoles and rare console shifter, Push down and over for reverse. I have every nut bolt and clip. Trans has been gone through and there is two. Rare heavy flywheel from a 68 cut and ready to install. both style pedal assemblies. I also have the complete floor with console brackets. Yes the reverse light wires are here. Shoot me an offer all I can say is no. I am 1 1/2 hrs from you in Pa.

Tempted. I'll PM you.

I've done both.

Buy kit, you're trading time/energy for cash.

Buy parts, it WILL take awhile to find everything. Sure as the devil, you think you're done? Oh, nope, need some itty bitty part some where. But you'll likely save dough, and make money back on all the parts you got that were wrong and won't work!

I've done both.

Buy kit, you're trading time/energy for cash.

Buy parts, it WILL take awhile to find everything. Sure as the devil, you think you're done? Oh, nope, need some itty bitty part some where. But you'll likely save dough, and make money back on all the parts you got that were wrong and won't work!

Which did you prefer? Time preference or saved cash?

It'll nickel and dime ya for sure, shifter boot, shifter ball, and handle plus the shifter and all of the linkages etc, etc. Be prepared cuz once you start, there is no turning back.

The car is a 1969 Dart. They quoted me north of 3,995 but not by too much

OUCH!!!

i have done over a dozen conversions, its less then half the cost is you source the parts yourself, there are good A body 4 spds all over the place for $200.00 to $ 500.00 , by all means use the dual friction center force clutch

I did it for Just under $1200 and found everything at the Mopar weekend in Carlisle PA but I had to do all research beforehand so that I knew what I was looking for.

I think I have access to a b-body a833 that has been rebuilt for $1000. Could negotiate probably.

Is there a guide to the necessary parts somewhere?

No on the B body trans. It mounts the shifter in the wrong spot and the tail is longer so the drive shaft wont work without being cut. As far as doing a conversion I have done it be patient and you can do it for 1/2 cost or less. If you have a 904 now your drive shaft will work and the other parts can be sourced from Ebay as I have done but some parts you will buy new from Brewers.

I did it for Just under $1200 and found everything at the Mopar weekend in Carlisle PA but I had to do all research beforehand so that I knew what I was looking for.

That is almost too cheap to believe, a good clutch / flywheel set up will set you back $800.

I was pretty lucky but you can find anything mopar that weekend at carlisle
I found all this stuff, all from different vendors
was not too thrilled about putting a used clutch in it but I am on a real LOW budget!
Got lucky with that - cleaned it up and works fine
I'm not going racing, this is just a stock street 383 motor

trans with linkage $300 unknown condition, couldn't open it up till I got home
lakewood bell $250
Flywheel $ 125 had some grooves in it but cleaned up OK
3 finger p plate $75 used with surface rust but cleaned up OK
clutch disc $50 used
pedal assy $75
throwout bearing from auto parts store $40
I saw a box of misc z-bar and linkage parts in someones junk box an he let me have the whole thing for $50
had to have the flywheel cut and other misc hardware - trans mount
cut hole in floor and get the speedometer to work right
a fair amount of work but was worth it!

I had been gathering parts for a couple of years for the four speed conversion, then my wife lost her job. I had to start selling parts. I sold everything I had for $1200 and it was pretty complete minus flywheel, clutch and shifter. There are deals out there, you just have to look for them.

I sold one of the set ups since this post. Only one left and a bunch of extra parts, Three transmissions included. I will not sell in parts must take it all. bring cash

like he said, the KEY is knowijng all the little and bigger parts you need and knowing the difference in them especially if swap meet hunting!!!! makes a difference IF you can pop open the tranny look inside and KNOW what you are lookin at!!???? like he said, all the little parts can nickel and dime ya to cry, one good way to do this is find guy with complete setup for your car, and get all ya can from him. brewers is good guy, great source, especially for the little parts you will need.
I ;ve done more than a few conversions. realize if swap meet hunting there are many different Z bars, the wrong one can be cut and welded to fit if ya know what the correct one measures!?? the z bar frame bracket. welded on!?? can ya weld, gotta know where it goes exactly.... a service manual for yooour car is a must for most of us.....
I love to shift gears but have hard time thinking of doing another since price of everything seems to just get higher all the time. i'd say figure what all the parts are worth separately and therefore you will spot a good deal when you find a guy with all or most of what ya need to do the changeover.....

I've done 7 conversions now. I always piece them together myself. Mostly so it isn't such a big
hit to the bank account all at once and you have some more options that you don't get when buying a OEM style kit. But this takes time and research to know what to look for.
For example aftermarket or OEM bell housing. I always buy a used Lakewood, no more than 2-250.00. I can weld the "Z" pivots where they need to be since they are made of steel. This can be a big help sometimes.
Some cars I like to use an aluminum flywheel some oem iron some certified steel.
Many different clutch's out there. I like the long (ford) style pressure plate's.
Many linkage parts I home build just so they are beefed up a bit. You also get to choose between the18 or 23 spline. Iron or aluminum case. There are also some shifter choices. "H" pattern or a inline racing type.
I enjoy tinkering with these parts to fine tune them to each builds needs. Gives me something to work on while waiting for funds for other larger project areas like body and paint.
I have found 18 spline transmissions as low as 400. and paid as much as 1500. for a 18 spline passion aluminum trans. 23 splines are in the 300. price range around here.
It would be easier and quicker to go with the kit if that would work for you.
I don't believe I have ever gone over 3500. converting any one car usually under
1500. for the 23 splines.
The reason I hit the 3500. mark on the one is the 18 spline passion box and console shifter option wasn't cheap at all.

-
Back