Bring my 73 dart swinger back to life.

-
There is only one thing worst then to much hardener in bondo. I found out today, what that is. Not putting enough hardener in the mix.:banghead: What a mess removing it. I did get the back window panel and the 2 sails finished today.

Hi guys
Just a update. Booster /master cylinder installed. I replaced both wheel cylinders. nothing is leaking. Dart is on wheels now. Dash insturments are in, battery is charged. Tomorrow turn wipers on and so motor will return to park. Connect the drive arm. Hope that project will be finished. Start the old girl up Get some vacuum in the booster adjust the rear brakes and hope to have a good pedal. I can't find the shift linkage that goes from the column to the transmission. I'll just make one. Hope I can buy the adjustable part that slides on the rod. If I can't I'll make one. Can't move it without that one part.

Good progress, you could always put a add in the parts wanted section, the linkage is a pretty common part.

Update
Connected the battery. Won't start with the key. Will start with hand trigger on the solenoid. Couldn't find my test light. Looked everywhere. It was at the house in the Vette.:banghead: Where would the best place to start. In the engine compartment and work my way into the cage under the dash. I'm not an electrician. I usually find the problem after a few times 3 tries. I adjusted the shift linkage so it would go into park so the key will come out. Just a point in the right direction. Maybe someone has had this problem before.:coffee2:

Trouble with wiper drive arm. First photo drivers side wiper in park. Second photo passenger side in park. Third photo of motor w/drive arm going to motor. Next 2 photo's are of my drive arm. Center line to center line. For a total of 22-3/4". Last photo is of my drive arm connected to the to the drivers side wiper in park. It's 2" to long. I wish i had that problem and not my wiper drive arm. What do you think if I cut it to fit and weld it back together.:coffee2: If someone has a 73 Dart with there dash apart could you measure your wiper drive are for me.:coffee2:

Attachments

• photo 1 (13).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 225
  • photo 2 (10).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 230
  • photo 2 (17).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 244
  • photo 3 (15).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 251
  • photo 4 (10).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 234
  • photo 4 (5).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 220
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is a 73 Dart wiper motor. (maybe a 73 2 speed)
My 73 Swinger has a different drive shaft that cambers off center when park engages.

Attachments

• wiper.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 230
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is a 73 Dart wiper motor. (maybe a 73 2 speed)
My 73 Swinger has a different drive shaft that cambers off center when park engages.

That looks like it would work. I bought mine on line. They did say it would even though it was different. The one in my car was like yours. I guess I'll have to buy one like yours. Thanks for the heads up.

The one trail beast pictured is a 3-speed motor.
I just ordered a new 2-speed motor for my 73 duster and the motor comes straight out instead of to the side.
I have mine apart so I could measure the length of the arms, but my car was built in the first week of 73 models and it has alot of 72 parts on it.
The wiper arm bushings are square, so by all the books it has 72 and down linkage.

Looking good!
I'll be messing with the wiper ink age within a week.....

As of right now, and all the things I've done to this car. I do beleave that putting the dash back together is the hardest job in this project. My hands and arms are all cut up. My back and knees hurt. Sometimes I get myself in possession under the dash and can't move to get out, without hitting my head scratching or cutting. When your under that dash you never can find whatever the tool you need. I could go on and on but I won't. In the morning I'll be back under the dash again. No power to the key switch.:coffee2:

Still under the dash. Got power from the key to the starter. Lights, turn signals running lights. But no dash lights. I took a test light and I had power to the temp, fuel gages. The screws and nuts on the back of the circuit board. So I guess the circuit board is good. I grounded the column to the dash. I can't figure out why i'm having so much trouble. I have power to the seat belt worning light. No dash lights. All new bulbs. What am I missing???
I found these 2 s/s molding. Can anyone tell me where they go. :coffee2:

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 186
Today I fixed my oil can fenders. Both fenders same place both sides. Left fender had a bent there. When I popped it out that's when I got the oil can buckle. Anyway there gone. Put 1 coat mud and sanded then another skined coat. Tomorrow I'll sand again and prime. It's a lot smoother then it looks.

Attachments

• photo 1 (21).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 180
  • photo 4 (11).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 187
  • photo 2 (19).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 169
  • photo 3 (17).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 171
Today, I ran all the wires for sound system, connected to the stereo. Ran power lines over to the fuse block. Tomorrow hook up tempery speckers and check out the sound. Good day today.:coffee2:

Dart started right up. All running lights are working. Radio and four speakers working. Lights on the aftermarket gages work with the light switch. Got good oil pressure. Ran out of gas before the temp. gage could move. Don't know how/where to connect ther voltmeter. I'll figure that out tomorrow. I made a vedio to post. But it was to long at 40 seconds. I'll make a couple of short ones and see if they will post.:coffee2:

If you don't mind, how'd you fix the oil can fenders? Heat and quench?

That's it heat and quench. As you can see in my previous pictures of both fenders. I used propane torch. I now have to rework the fenders by block sanding. AGAIN:banghead: But thats OK no more oil can fenders.:cheers::cheers:

It was a long day today. Finished block sanding the Dart. I couldn't make money doing this for a living. Tomorrow I'll wash her real good and prime her for the last time. The hard part is dedusting the shop. I hope to be able to move the Dart outside to sand before painting. I'll be using single stage paint. Top Banana Yellow. Can't sneek up on a dead man. With that color.:coffee2:

Took my dash cluster out yesterday.Not having lights and gauges suck. I got all the other lights. But not a thing on the dash. In the first photo you can see where I cleaned the light contect. The second photo is after I cleaned everything. When I removed the gauges. Under the nuts where rusty and crudy. Cleaned everything with fine steel wool. Tested the cauges and lights on the bench, continuity in all the copper connections:cheers: The last photo is of the clear lens. They came out great.:coffee2:

Attachments

• photo 2 (20).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 3 (18).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 131
  • photo 1 (22).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 123
Havn't finished installing the dash yet. But, I did paint the inside of the trunk. It looks good. I've cleaned both door windows with a razor blade. Raped them up and put them in the ready room. Now I'm working on the interior. I'm going to try doing the upholstery myself. With the help of a friend who is now doing his 50 Merc. Today was cutting the seats apart. Tomorrow I'll finish the back seat. He has to completely finish his interior first. Before he can change the color of the thread for me. I will be watching him like a Hawk.

Well I got the front seat repaired. Welded what needed to be welded. The prior owners must have had a big butt, because, driver seat was destroyed. This is it ready to upholster.

Attachments

• photo 2 (23).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 5 (3).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 4 (13).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 1 (25).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 113
My dart was built in Canada and they put tons of undercoat on her. It was over a 1/2" and in some places more. I put the pressure cleaner to it. Got a lot off and was surprised to see absolutely nothing but the painted frame from the factory. Undercoat works.

Attachments

• photo 3 (23).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 1 (3).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 111
  • photo 3 (20).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 4 (15).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 2 (25).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 104
Just a comment on your wipers I think you are missing a piece that bolts to the end of the motor that is slotted for the motor then it connects to the arm. It is a little two inch piece. Also the two speed and three speed are different even the switch inside the car.

There is a picture the trailbeast posted that is the wiper motor I need. I have that 2" pcs. My wiper arms are way to long. Bought the wrong motor.

-
Back