Bringing a U.S car into Canada

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has bought a car registered in the U.S in Canada. I am thinking about a 69 Dart in Michigan that is close to the Canadian boarder. If the owner drives it over into Canada bypassing customs what do I need to do to change ownership.
I am sure it has been done before via swap meets..car shows etc.
Thanks
AL

I have export-imported cars across that border several times. Because you are looking at a car more than 15 years old, there are no regulatory requirements to meet; you don't have to go through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. You have to fax the title to the US Customs and Border Protection office at the border crossing you intend to use, at least 72 hours prior to arriving at the crossing with the car. Make sure to get a confirmation of successful fax from the machine you use. Then show up at the border crossing (it must be the same one you faxed to), go into the US Customs office and present the car's original title. They'll stamp it for export. Then get back in the car and cross to the Canadian side. When the guard in the booth asks what you are bringing in, open your mouth and do not stop talking until you have listed every spare part and every bit of repair or upgrade work you had done on the car between buying it and bringing it into Canada. Do not omit anything or you will be sorry. You want to make sure you have complete documentation. That means you need the US title, the bill of sale, every relevant receipt (new tires? Repair work? All of it) and any and all other documents related to that car. If the seller includes extra parts, make certain he itemises them in writing and clearly states that they are included in the purchase price of the vehicle. You'll be directed to go in to do the paperwork. They'll assess 5% GST but no duty. Pay that, truthfully answer whatever questions the guards might have for you, and head on down the road. If you declare absolutely everything, including the little snack-pack of potato chips you bought at the gas station on the way to the border, you should be fine. But you might run into a border guard with a bully complex, or your declaration might not be everything they think it should be, and then it's going to cost you money. Cost me $1150, for example; story here.

But other than that unpleasantness, it's really not all that hard. Have all your papers in order, declare every last shred of kleenex and wad of chewing gum, and you'll be fine.

Copy of title and bill of sale must be provided (faxed) to US customs a minimum of 72 hours prior to the car reaching the border. For Canada customs, a copy of the bill of sale may be used to determine the taxes due. They will determine the value for taxes. A/C will add another $100 to the bill..

Grant

Hey Dan thanks very much for the info..gotta get something before Spring Fling LOL Are you going again this year...I think I ran into you just when I was leaving last year.
I was thinking about driving the car back if I like it...so does that mean I have to stay down for three days?
I thought it might be easier if he brings the car into Canada and do the deal on this side of the boarder...I am not sure if that would be legal or not, but like I said, if a guy from the States sells a car he drove up to say..Moparfest and I bought it there???how would that work??
AL
PS It would save me hotel bills staying over as well as the dreaded boarder guards you speak of LOL

Hey Al, not to jump in cuz Dan has it all answered. Its not any easier if the seller brings the car or you into Canada. You dont have to be there 72 hours either. What you need is the seller to fax you front and back the copies of the title. That gives US customs time to do a lien and theft search. Like Dan said, once you have faxed them copies(front and back) make sure to print the confirmation so you can prove that you did fax them it to them. Good luck and post pics!! For a car I bought in the states, I had the seller email me copies(pdf) of title(both sides). Its up to you as far as Canada customs and what you declare. Me just out of principle never declare everything.

Spring Fling LOL Are you going again this year...I think I ran into you just when I was leaving last year.

I've never been to Spring Fling -- are you maybe talking about MoparFest? I doubt if I'll be going this year; I'll probably have already moved out West by then (or else I'll be right in the middle of the move).

I was thinking about driving the car back if I like it...so does that mean I have to stay down for three days?

No, you can have the seller fax the title to your choice of Customs offices ahead of your arrival.

I thought it might be easier if he brings the car into Canada and do the deal on this side of the boarder

No, that makes it much harder, both for you and for the seller. All the official importation paperwork has to be done at the border, and he who brings the car across the border is the importer (and therefore has to pay the duties etc.).

If the seller brings the car across the border he would have to declare he is exporting it and pay the taxes IMHO. This sounds unusual and I wonder if it would even be permitted. I have imported a car from the US and they were very sticky about the 72 hour title submission.

Oh ya, remember not all border crossings take cars, and not all are 24 hours. If you need the border crossings, pm me and I can let you know which one is 24 hours.

I know this is a little off topic (okay it's a lot off topic) but a shiver just ran up my spine when I read this quote from Dan.

Dan Said:::: I'll probably have already moved out West by then (or else I'll be right in the middle of the move).

OMG, does this mean you're coming out west Dan and if so how far? Dan??????????????:boxing::toothy8::toothy8:

I work at the border and just FYI some of the info presented isn't correct. Check www.riv.ca for the correct info. As well I can help with any questions you may have.

Riddler

I purchased a US car last year, had the previous owner deliver to Canadian side (Sarnia). I had previous owner fax title info 72hrs in advance, get paperwork Stamped on the US side, and met him and car Canadian side to finish transaction. It was only 15min ordeal on Canadian side and I was on my way. One thing to look for is date of mfg sticker on drivers door, if not there, you are required to get a letter from mfg proving build date. Hope this helps.
Rick

In addition to all of the above, I also carry a copy of my method of payment (wire transfer, M/O, certified cheque - I'll even photocopy every bill if I pay cash). I also carry a copy of the ad where I purchased it from. Do not lie on the Bill of Sale. I declare unattached spare parts whether I paid extra for them or not. I also send in a signed letter stating that I did indeed make the purchase from wherever to whomever for the correct amount. Do not speak unless spoken to, and when you do speak, do not mumble.
All they are going to ask for is a measly 5% GST (plus $100.00 if it has A/C - working or not), if you can't afford that, then you should not be involved in the deal. Bring cash to pay your taxes, way less hassle in my opinion. These guys are tax collectors just doing their job.
I find it easier and less expensve to hire a broker to do the job. They set everything up, the transporter brings it across, and the deed is done. Then it gets dropped in your driveway and it's like Christmas.
Daryl

some of the info presented isn't correct.

What info presented is not correct, specifically, please? The riv.ca site you linked is helpful for those considering importing a car newer than 15 years old from the US into Canada, but vehicles 15 or more years old do not need to go through the RIV program and are not subject to admissibility lists.

Yep, all the way West (Vancouver).

Oh you're going to fit right in Dan, they don't call it "lotus land" for nothing. I like it out there to just can't afford it. Little advice Dan, when asked where you're from pick any city other than Toronto. I'd recommend Halifax cuss we think those people are funnier than hell.

Oh you're going to fit right in Dan, they don't call it "lotus land" for nothing.

H'mm. I've heard "Hongcouver" but haven't heard "Lotus land". Splain me, Loocee!

I like it out there to just can't afford it.

We will not be in anything like the high-rent district, that's for sure!

Little advice Dan, when asked where you're from pick any city other than Toronto.

I do that already!

Quote: H'mm. I've heard "Hongcouver" but haven't heard "Lotus land". Splain me, Loocee!

Actually the term is kind of seasonal dependent, usually coincides when the magic mushrooms are poping out all over and people are wondering around in La La Land or Lotus land. But hey that's just what I've heard, nudge/nudge.:shaking2:

Wait…what?

redbeard.gif

In addition to all of the above, I also carry a copy of my method of payment (wire transfer, M/O, certified cheque - I'll even photocopy every bill if I pay cash). I also carry a copy of the ad where I purchased it from. Do not lie on the Bill of Sale.

+1. When I imported my car (not the Valiant) I was sent to the inspection bay after I paid my GST and duty (of course - I think they figure they tricked me). They stuck my Dad and I in a one way glass room and went away for half an hour. I think all they wanted to establish was the actual selling price. I guess they didn't believe me. They seemed happy enough when they let us out but didn't say anything. I know they did not inspect the car.

You got a tow bar just incase...a new motor with only an hour on it???? come on now...nobody drops a nice 340 like that into a Dart and only runs it an hour...me thinky somethin fishy...
AL

Tried bringing in a new car 3 or so years ago ....wish I had used a service..bought locally...life is too short...

-
Back