Bristow ,Oklahoma May 2024

-
It’s going to be a big one this year. Bristow is located just about right in the middle of Tulsa and OKC on Route 66/ I-44.
I will be there with several other A-body guys from the Instagram circles.
I used to live in SoCal and attended Spring/Fall Fling just about every year and have been to Mopar Nationals and Carlisle. This event will never be a Carlisle or MATS or Holley Mopar Fest but it is definitely going to be on par with Spring/Fall Fling out in Van Nuys. Hallet Motorsports park is close so I really hope that becomes part of the events in the future like Willow Springs is to the Fling.

I had not heard of this upcoming event till today

SOUTHERN PLAINS MOPAR FEST
Yes! I believe that this year will be the 4th annual.
I've been to them all.
The event was started out by 2 guys in our MOPAR club; the Central Oklahoma MOPAR Association. (COMA)
One of the Guys, Matt, is a big MOPAR guy, with a "stable" of MOPARs, and goes to all the big national events.
First 2 years were at Thunder Valley Raceway in Noble, OK. (Show, racing, and swap meet)

Last year the venue changed, as they got involved with the Bristow Historical Society in trying to save, move, and restore a historic Chrysler dealership tower/sign.
The plan is to restore the tower and neon lettered sign, and move it to Main Street, on Rte 66, before the Rte 66 Centennial Celebration in 2016.
They are fundraising by selling lettered bricks that will comprise the base of the tower along Rte 66.
The event activities were the same in Bristow; except that the 1/8th mile drag racing is actually done ON ROUTE 66, at an existing Chrysler dealership.
Not many people can say that they drag raced on Rte 66! I can say that I did! :icon_fU:

And this year, the event has expanded to 3 days. The first day will likely to just be a Cruise in the area, and or Poker Run.
The last 2 days are more oriented to the show and racing.
Bristow also has their annual Telame Festival the same weekend. So, there's lots to do and see.

Now, I waited too long last year and ended up staying a 25 minute drive away.
I won't make that mistake this year.

Now, I waited too long last year and ended up staying a 25 minute drive away.
I live about an hour away from Bristow. There are some decent hotel options in Shawnee which is about 45 minutes away. The towns of Chandler and Stroud are probably 30 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.
Being Old 66 there will still be old motor hotels and there will be more of them than modern Holiday Inns and Hamptons. These are tiny little towns and the crime rate is very low so I would feel my car and equipment were as safe as anywhere. Tulsa area is an option for around 40-45 minutes away but Tulsa does have an elevated crime rate. A little more than an hour away is the Oklahoma City Metro and you would probably have to drive deeper into the OKC to get hotels. It just seems a little too far so I think the small towns and old school motels within 40-45 minutes are the way to go.

@soonercruiser , Any word on getting a first day at Hallet Motorsports park? It's 35 miles North of Bristow which is closer than Willow Springs is to Spring Fling. The track day is a huge part of the tradition there. I would love to see a track day on Day 1 for all us guys that like to do left/right turns while going fast.

I live about an hour away from Bristow. There are some decent hotel options in Shawnee which is about 45 minutes away. The towns of Chandler and Stroud are probably 30 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.
Being Old 66 there will still be old motor hotels and there will be more of them than modern Holiday Inns and Hamptons. These are tiny little towns and the crime rate is very low so I would feel my car and equipment were as safe as anywhere. Tulsa area is an option for around 40-45 minutes away but Tulsa does have an elevated crime rate. A little more than an hour away is the Oklahoma City Metro and you would probably have to drive deeper into the OKC to get hotels. It just seems a little too far so I think the small towns and old school motels within 40-45 minutes are the way to go.

@soonercruiser , Any word on getting a first day at Hallet Motorsports park? It's 35 miles North of Bristow which is closer than Willow Springs is to Spring Fling. The track day is a huge part of the tradition there. I would love to see a track day on Day 1 for all us guys that like to do left/right turns while going fast.
The youngest son, Pat, races his modified Subaru at Hallet all the time.
He ended up 2023 as the USA Regional Champ in his class.
I have taken one of my turbo PTs to the track day there years ago.
I'm sure that Hallet posts the track schedule somwhere early in the spring.

As for Bristow, I live in NW OKCity and have made the drive to Tulsa more times than I can count.
Even hotels on the east side of OKCity are too far away to drive every day.
I would not do that every day for the Bristow event.
I believe that the SPMF Facebook page lists the nearby/sponsor hotels.
Living here in OKC, Tulsa is the only place with a bad crime rate.
But, I do concealed carry when staying at any places away from home.
Oklahoma is a Constitutional carry state!

See "Event Lodging".
SOUTHERN PLAINS MOPAR FEST

I see Stoud has a Hampton Inn.. normally those are decent, that's 15 miles away

race-map_orig.jpg

-
Back