broke my alt...????

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i was driving home and all of a sudden my lights were flickering and my volt gauge was bouncing, and the alt gauge was flickering around. so i limped it home while watching my gauges thinking my belt was loosening up or something. so i get it home and the hood up and all looks fine. the belt is there and tight, battery cables fine, starter post chk, so i wiggle the alt charge cable and the whole back part connected to the "pos" post is loose!!!

so my question is can i fix it?

or can i buy a new one/preferably like a 60amp instead of the stock 68 dart 270 SL6 alt? 35 amp, or will it fry the amp gauge?

thx guys!! sry it so scatter brained... my grandma is on her death bed...

Sorry to hear about the Grandmother.....
There is a nut under the nut that holds the cable on that you should be able to tighten. What worries me is what caused it to loosen in the first place.
You can get an alt from a mid 80's van that uses a v-belt pulley. They come in the 90A and 120A variety, and as long as you run a additional power wire from the alt to the main relay, you shouldn't fry your ammeter....BUT I'd bypass it just to be safe. I'm running the 90A version on my /6 with only mild modifications to the alt mount and tensioning slider.

Remember the 68 dart will have a single field terminal on the alternator, newer alternators will have two field terminals. You can use a newer dual field alternator as long as you ground the extra field terminal.

-
Back