Broke my lower shock bolt

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Well,I was going to replace my shocks and one of the lower mount bolts was so rusted I had to use a breaker bar when it snapped.I even let it soak in pb blaster overnight.Is there a way to fix this?Or does anyone have another 7 1/4 mount they can spare?Its on the passenger side.:angry7:

A future tip for getting rusted bolts loose is to use a impact wrench. A lot of the time they will knock the rust loose with their hammering action. A breaker bar is almost a guarantee of breaking a rusted bolt. I use to work on forklifts and practically everything on them gets rusted in no time. That's where I discovered an impact will actually break less bolts than a breaker bar.

Got it. $5 to ship it, got it in a smaller box

I'll PM you

A future tip for getting rusted bolts loose is to use a impact wrench. A lot of the time they will knock the rust loose with their hammering action. A breaker bar is almost a guarantee of breaking a rusted bolt. I use to work on forklifts and practically everything on them gets rusted in no time. That's where I discovered an impact will actually break less bolts than a breaker bar.
Thanks Rob

Yeah i know,but I dont have an impact at home.I should invest in a big air compressor,lol.I guess thats why they call it a "breaker bar",huh?O.O

Yes sir!

I love my impact wrench. I can zap a front end apart in no time.

Yeah i know,but I dont have an impact at home.I should invest in a big air compressor,lol.I guess thats why they call it a "breaker bar",huh?O.O

LOL... Yep breaker bar is a good name for it. All joking aside they do come in handy for a lot of stuff. If you don't have the money or space for an air compressor they also make some decent electric impacts. I have an old Ingersol Rand electric impact that's over 10 yrs. old but still works great. Just something to think about.

I broke a shock bolt once, using an impact!

We used a cut off wheel and cut the stud off flat with the plate. Used a high speed drill to drill a hole through the plate, and ran a grade 8 bolt through the hole. Fixed and back on the road to this day!

I love my electric impact and my honda genny when I go to wrecking yards. Usually if you have a genny they let me take in my truck,no carrying nothing.

No problem.

If you get one that looks really stuck, take a propane torch and heat up the nut really good, pull flame away then spray some PB blaster on the threads. It will wick some PB into the threads. May take a couple of applications.

You can also use candle wax.

Plate is going out Monday.

-
Back