brokemrockers

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
okmso i overtightened the rocker nolts and two bolts broke and the shaft broke and pushrods bent and five were under the intake and lifters were out hope when i look in the day time thats all thats wrong with it...lol....im still learning each days cars are a glitch...btw what are the torqe specs on the rockers shaft bolts..thanks fabo

Buy new bolts same length.Try a torque wrench,25 ft.-lbs,and motor oil.Those bolts are stretched and tired.

Or he just over tightened them. I believe the specs are given in inch lb's,not ft/lb's.

thanks and my motor ate 5 pushrods i cant find them so my motor ismcoming out snd getting an overhaul...it only has anlt 25 passes on it im still learning so he this time no problem.

ugh... You're certain it's from overtorquing and not a failure of something else?

ugh... You're certain it's from overtorquing and not a failure of something else?

xs2...5 bent pushrods? im thinking you have other issues than over tightened rockers. how long has this engine been running? it would seem to me it would have went south almost as soon as you started it.

I popped a hole thru a rocker pushrod cup and the motor spit a push rod into the cam which twisted it thru to the oil pan breaking the lifter bore and breaking a piston skirt on the way.Hope you fare better.

Daredevil, that sounds like you hit 3 skulls on a slot machine! Milodon sells a lifter baffle that goes under your intake and covers all your lifters and just has a smaller hole for the pushrods to come out of. It prevents a lifter popping out when you throw a pushrod so you keep your oil pressure and it would also have prevented this. They are about 25 bucks and are great insurance, plus they are supposed to keep the intake a little cooler too (assuming this is a small block) as it keeps the oil off the bottom of the intake. Hope you get it all figured out. Preload on a hydraulic cam is just touching (spin the pushrods to determine when they touch) on an open lifter plus 1 more turn.

Big block rocker shaft bolt 25 ft-lbs. Small block rocker shaft bolt 200 in-lbs. Believe it or don't, no skin off'n my nose.

I never go more than 18 lbs on a sb bolt/stud.

It is 200 inch/pounds which is about 17 ft/lb.

Bolt breaks, shaft flexes, pushrods lever out of ball and high center, = bent pushrods.

Depending on valve to piston clearance, you may have issues there as well, bent valves.

After never using a torque wrench to tighten shaft bolts and never having a problem; tightened one to 25 lbs=broke it.

sounds like the wrong length pushrods? or improper adjustment / pre load on hydraulic ? And /or improper adjustment as far as "order" . Over-tightening shaft bolts wont send push rods flying around .

Do you have hydraulic lifters ?

200 inch pounds is a little over 16 foot punds... So it's all the same...lol

-
Back