Broken cross shaft pin on sure-grip, other questions

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
Ok...got the sure grip apart to find a few disappointments. First, i read that if it has 2 rings of bolts, it's a clutch type, and if it has 1 ring (ring-gear bolts hold the diff together) then it's a cone type. well, i bought it based on that, and it turns out it is a cone type and whatever I read is false. OK...i can live with this.....

SO....then on one side, the cone has been rubbing the outer flat side against the case.....no big deal...i'll just take it to work and machine it down and put a shim between the side gear and cone.....

THEN....."hmmmm...wonder why the end of the cross shaft is galled....oh, look, the pin is broken!!!....must've been caused by this diff pinion that's seized to the cross shaft."

questions:

the bad side of the cross shaft has about 1/16 side clearance in the hole, and the good side has about 1/32....by my eyeball micrometer....is this ok??
can I get a new cross-shaft and pin and gears??
also....can't tell with the galling if the pin is supposed to go into both case halves or just one......

ok....found a picture of what i WANTED....now i see the difference...anyway...how bout those problems?

-
Back