Broken Ignition Switch?

-

Josecuda

Reaction score
Hi there! I recently rebuilt the steering column for my 1974 Dart and replaced both the ignition and turn signal switches. The ignition lock was replaced as well.

From a cold start the engine starts right away with no issues. When I turn off the engine and try to start it again, it shuts down as soon as I remove my hand from the key.

I checked the contacts and continuity between wires at the connector and everything seems to be in working order according to the service manual. The ignition switch was replaced only because I had the column out at the time. The old ignition switch was working properly.

Any thoughts of what is going on or what I could check before thinking of replacing the ignition switch again?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5DrWhEYUx0"]Mopar Ignition Switch - YouTube[/ame]

Engine dying when the key is released is a great indicator of a bad ballast resistor.

Engine dying when the key is released is a great indicator of a bad ballast resistor.

Bad brand new switches are common these day also, so the OP may want to test light the two power side wires of the ballast in the start and run positions both.

Or just pull both of the wires from the engine side of the ballast and test light those terminals on the ballast.
If it's the ballast the test light will not light up when the key is in the run position on either terminal.

The thing is I replaced the ECU and ballast for a MSD 6A unit.

Then you probably have the MSD unit connected to only the start position wire instead of start and run both.

(smart *** remark removed from here) :D

MSD has support.
^^^^^^^^^^^
(better remark placed here)

the start position wire instead of start and run both.

The brown and blue wire? Yes, those are tied together as well.

Problem solved!

Got a NOS Mopar Switch, changed it, everything went back to normal. :D

Say NO to crappy quality china repro parts :banghead:

The brown and blue wire? Yes, those are tied together as well.

Problem solved!

Got a NOS Mopar Switch, changed it, everything went back to normal. :D

Say NO to crappy quality china repro parts :banghead:

NICE, and good job.

-
Back