broken key switch?????

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
i have a 73 dodge dart sport w/ console shift auto. it currently has a non functional locking mech. the ignition will turn and turn with or with out a key in it. the key lock release does nothing as the key can be taken out while the engine is running. the column will lock the steering though. i have a spare standard auto on the column from another car. are there any parts in this column that can repair the damaged column in the dart?

I'm not quite understanding the problem. I like being able to remove the key in run. Anyway , If the lock cylinder is replaced the key will be also. Result is a 3 key car.

You can take the ignition lock cylinder out and take it and your door key to a lock smith and they can rekey it to fit the key you have.

to further explain, sorry for the confusion. if i get in the car now i can without a key in it at all spin endlessly in any direction the chrome key slot on the column. i can also put the key in with the slot in any position and turn it and it will start only at its normal position only going clockwise like it should. in other words if the key slot is completly upside down from what it should be normally, i can put the key in and turn it up clockwise to a normal position (about 180 degrees) to where it would be in the off position and proceed to start and it will start then just like a normal car while running i can remove the key without useing the key removal lever on the column. follow me???

Yep, I follow you,the tumblers are gone and need to be replaced,choices are new ignition lock cylinder and rekey door locks or 3 keys to fit one car or new ignition lock cylinder rekeyed for your key's

other than the key being different could i use the other columns lock cylinder and just rekey it? seems like i could....

-
Back