Broken L/R servo spring

-

mopar4x4stroker

Reaction score
My front clutch is on borrowed time as it flares in 3rd. So to bandaid it I decided to throw in a transgo SK I had laying around. Upon removing the low/reverse piston, I discovered the cushion spring was broke. Any Idea what could cause this, or is it just common from fatigue. What might be some symptoms?

It has quite a few neglected and abusive miles. Possibly 240k, hasn't had a fluid/filter change in 10yrs. Its seen a couple 1st gear drops at 40-45 mph (wot, then drop, almost at the same time as to not shock the Dtrain too much).

Haven't drove it since the SK cuz I decided to wait to fill until I pick up some type F. Im hoping the SK and type F will buy me some time while I rebuild a 46RH over the winter. Just wondering what the cause for the broken spring could be and its symptoms.

Never seen a broken cushion spring but most likely just fatigue from age. Does the SK kit send a spacer to block the cushion spring? The TF2 kit does. It's a good mod. Helps eliminate 1-2 shift overlap. If the kit you have doesn't supply a spacer make one.

Good luck. Most of the time the higher pressure from the shift kit will finish off a worn out trans. in short order. I liken it to putting a band aid over gun shot wound and expecting it to heal up.

I don't think the SK hit comes with a stiffer line pressure spring. So you will need to adjust the spring you have to it's maximum pressure. You can just use a stack of washers to make the L/R servo solid.

Never seen a broken cushion spring but most likely just fatigue from age. Does the SK kit send a spacer to block the cushion spring? The TF2 kit does. It's a good mod. Helps eliminate 1-2 shift overlap. If the kit you have doesn't supply a spacer make one.

Good luck. Most of the time the higher pressure from the shift kit will finish off a worn out trans. in short order. I liken it to putting a band aid over gun shot wound and expecting it to heal up.

Im kinda curious as to what it does. I have the torqueflight book (with the A body Cuda launching) probably explains it in there. Been a while since I read through it.

Its a TF-2, and came with a spacer. I just pulled a cushion spring from a 518 I have. Stiff lil spring that's for sure. Interestingly 1-2 shift wasnt a problem, it was nice and solid. But the 2-3 shift, lots of overlap and now flair-up. Also very temp sensitive, hot it'll shift @35 cold it won't shift until 42-45 depending on throttle pressure.

At this point it takes quite a bit of throttle to get a flair, unless its between shifts. I was hoping the shift kit will shift it quicker and reduce heat. That in combination with Type F, Im hoping holds until I can get the 46 built. I left the 2-3 ball out so hopefully it slams into 3rd lol. Id rather that then flair. All the other seperator orifices I drilled to 3/16 I believe. Basically whatever sizes between street/strip and race.

Pan didn't have a whole lot of material. Definitely some sludge buildup. Although the magnet was plump full :/. Idk see what happens.

I don't think the SK hit comes with a stiffer line pressure spring. So you will need to adjust the spring you have to it's maximum pressure. You can just use a stack of washers to make the L/R servo solid.

I guess Im not even sure what controls line pressure. I've heard/read about the solid spacer deal. Although not sure what benefit it would have. I know when people bump the LP too much, they start cracking/calking piston. I'll have to look into it all again, its been a while. I plan to upgrade the pistons in the 46, so I'll play with things a lil more then.

Im kinda curious as to what it does. I have the torqueflight book (with the A body Cuda launching) probably explains it in there. Been a while since I read through it.

Its a TF-2, and came with a spacer. I just pulled a cushion spring from a 518 I have. Stiff lil spring that's for sure. Interestingly 1-2 shift wasnt a problem, it was nice and solid. But the 2-3 shift, lots of overlap and now flair-up. Also very temp sensitive, hot it'll shift @35 cold it won't shift until 42-45 depending on throttle pressure.

At this point it takes quite a bit of throttle to get a flair, unless its between shifts. I was hoping the shift kit will shift it quicker and reduce heat. That in combination with Type F, Im hoping holds until I can get the 46 built. I left the 2-3 ball out so hopefully it slams into 3rd lol. Id rather that then flair. All the other seperator orifices I drilled to 3/16 I believe. Basically whatever sizes between street/strip and race.

Pan didn't have a whole lot of material. Definitely some sludge buildup. Although the magnet was plump full :/. Idk see what happens.

I believe the cushion springs main jobs were to soften the 1-2 shift a little and soften the application of the rear band. The bad thing about having it in there is when the rear servo pressure releases the big spring pushes the servo off but the cushion spring acts against it slowing the release. In most cases that causes 1-2 shift overlap when you manually run it through the gears. A lot of shift kits come with the spacer to block it to clean up the 1-2 shift

-
Back