Broken Rear Window Reveal Clip

-

Tinmannz

Reaction score
I have a broken clip on my 71' Dart's rear window in the lower left corner that needs to be replaced. Just short of pulling the rear window or carving up the gasket to get to the screw, is there another way to get the screw out?

I think that I can use my dremel and cut-off the head, removing the stud thru the trunk. Install a new clip by way of a pop rivet thru the backside to hold the clip and be good to go.

Tap it with a small chisel made from a punch to loosen it a bit. Then make a small right angle straight to fit the cross of the philips screw. That is what I have done in the past. Tedious but I have gotten them in various locations. I have reinstalled them using a wrench with small hex heads also. There are times you have to get creative. The dremel idea sounds like a plan. Remember to tape up the paint.

Tap it with a small chisel made from a punch to loosen it a bit. Then make a small right angle straight to fit the cross of the philips screw. That is what I have done in the past. Tedious but I have gotten them in various locations. I have reinstalled them using a wrench with small hex heads also. There are times you have to get creative. The dremel idea sounds like a plan. Remember to tape up the paint.
I hadn't considered a small chiesel, that's probably going to be my best bet.

I thought maybe I'd be able to grab it from the backside thru the trunk after cutting the head off, but the hinge and sheet metal bracing make it impossible to get to.

Thanks for the ideas.

the vinyl top guy wouldn't remove to replace a broken clip. He added a new clip beside the broken one. The original screws are special #8 screw shanks with the smaller head of #6 screw. The head of standard #8 screw off the shelf wouldn't leave room for the trim to get in the clip with it but a #6 screw off the shelf will. The vinyl top guy used a tiny awe and hammer to punch a new smaller hole for this smaller screw.

the vinyl top guy wouldn't remove to replace a broken clip. He added a new clip beside the broken one. The original screws are special #8 screw shanks with the smaller head of #6 screw. The head of standard #8 screw off the shelf wouldn't leave room for the trim to get in the clip with it but a #6 screw off the shelf will. The vinyl top guy used a tiny awe and hammer to punch a new smaller hole for this smaller screw.
I'm assuming this can be done with the window and gasket still in the car? Great idea!

-
Back