Broken Ring Gear bolt

-

green440duster

Reaction score
Is it OK to run with one ring gear bolt missing? I am swapping out a set of 3.91's for 3.23 and I noticed that there was a broken bolt in the 3.23 ring gear I tried to get it out with no success. Just wondering if it would be OK to run with one missing??

It wont hurt a thing running with out it, but I would drill it out.

Kenny

........No, cause when it comes out it will ruin ur day............kim..........

Lol Kim.......

It very well might find a way to walk out after driving...and then, atleast you will know exactly what happened when it does and look like a genius diff tech....

Like Kim said.... it will ruin your day... If you can't get it out, buy another ring and pin... or you will later on and be under the car 2 times...

If one broke they,re probably all stretched from being reused.Replace them all.

Pay close attention to how the new bolts fit before you just throw them all out....

Many people are using all china junk...and the bolts included... so thread them by hand and see if you can rock them at all in the threads...

If the bolt broke from being stretched they usually back out, if it broke from being killed in there or cross threaded they usually need persuasion.... a stretching bolt you can feel as you tighten it there is something wrong

Last year I picked up a 3rd member that someone had broken a bolt off in (they didn't know they were left hand thread bolts and tried to remove it normally) and it came out real easy. I just used a center punch to mark it dead center and put a 3/16" drill bit to it nice and slow and the bit caught it and backed it right out.

Oh yeah I wouldn't run it broken either. Your just asking for problems doing that.

MUCH MUCH easier way than drillin it out. Get a mig welder, or somebody that can mig good. Take a nut about the size of the broken bolt and have them or you hold it right over the broken bolt against the ring gear. Start a bead on the center of the broken bolt and build it up until the nut is welded to the remains of the bolt from the inside. Let it cool and then back that joker right on out.

-
Back