Broken screw. cant get it out.

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
I need any tips from you guys on how to get a broken screw out. On my 64 convertible, were the sunvisor mounts to the top of the window frame i noticed a broken screw. Theres not really much to grab onto to turn it out. Anyone got any tips on getting it out. I found the head of the screw and was thinking about super glueing it on and trying to back it out with it glued together, but my guess is itll just brake back off. Thanks for any tips

if there was enough sticking out you could saw a slot in it and turn it out with a flat screwdriver

welding something to it is another option

you could also drill it and turn it out with an easyout

I know on bolts I have put a nut over it and spot welded the middle so it would grab and turn out the broken bolt, but if your interior is good that would probably be bad. If it is hollow behind the screw you might get away with taking a punch and knocking the screw through and then just using a slightly bigger diameter screw.

Try a lefthanded drill bit first. Make it the same size as the shank of the screw minus the threads, or just a tiny bit smaller. Either the screw will back out while drilling it or you will have a pilot hole for a easy out.

If you cant get it out and your sunvisors are like the later darts and have the 3 holes you could just use 2 screws to hold the visor in place and glue the broken screw head over the 3rd hole to cover it up.

Two of the screws were broken on my 64 Valiant convertible. I was able to use a small cutoff disc in my Dremel to make a slot in one. A little panther piss and it turned right out. (with a little force) The other one was broken off below flush so I drilled it out and was then able to run a tap into it to clean out the screw pieces.

Good luck!

Try a lefthanded drill bit first. Make it the same size as the shank of the screw minus the threads, or just a tiny bit smaller. Either the screw will back out while drilling it or you will have a pilot hole for a easy out.

Agree. Reverse drill bit is the way to go.

-
Back