Broken Tranny part

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
I'm looking to connect a speedometer cable to a 1970 A833 4-speed transmission. I took this part off of the left side of the extension housing. Is this where the cable was supposed to have been connected? What component was ripped off?

Attachments

• A833 cable.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 138
You will need to replace the speedo drive gear.
The ripped part is where the cable connected to the gear, so take that clip off and pull the gear and shaft out of the housing.
Afterwards you will see what you need.

after a quick google search, it seems as though the cable and that round housing are all one peice.
The cable got ripped off of yours.

I was thinking your speedo gear and shaft were one peice, so your actual gear is fine.
You just need a new speedo cable and put your gear on it.

Attachments

• 4995.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 156
Hmmm. I may not have the transmission I was led to believe. The speedometer cable I purchased (supposedly for a 70-75 Duster) has a completely different screw-type connector. I'll have to try and find some markings on it. Thank you.

It looks like I might have a transmission from the mid 60's. A previous owner must have broken off the cable because there is no match for a 70' model speedometer. Major bummer.

Just type in the serial/model number of the trans.

It looks like I might have a transmission from the mid 60's. A previous owner must have broken off the cable because there is no match for a 70' model speedometer. Major bummer.

I'm looking to connect a speedometer cable to a 1970 A833 4-speed transmission. I took this part off of the left side of the extension housing. Is this where the cable was supposed to have been connected? What component was ripped off?
That speedo cable housing and gear are for a '65 and older transmission that uses a ball and trunion U-joint type driveshaft.

Yes - now that I've looked the transmission over, that is quite apparent it's a ball and trunion type. I read that this was replaced after two years with a slip yoke arrangement. Do you happen to know the disadvantage of the ball and trunion design?

You can get a new driveshaft made to eliminate the ball/ trunnion if you ever have trouble with it

like here:

www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=95454

As long as the ball trunnion "works fine" they are OK. The rub comes in rebuilding them. Parts are expensive, and you must get the pressed in center pin centered correctly. If the outer housing is worn, they REALLY become expensive.

Thanks all. It's working fine for now. I was able to get a custom speedo cable made. If it ever gives me trouble, I'll go with a conversion.

-
Back