Broken two flexplates in less than 1500kilometers

-
Everything look like it is lined up ok?
If you unbolt the flexplate with the motor and trans still bolted together will the converter slide back and forth ok? It should slide back about a 1/4 of an inch away from the flex plate. Normally it takes a lot of power to brake one.
Do you have any pics of the broken one?

Are you using the correct torque converter & positioned correct? If the hub to crank is sloppy, the flexplate will be under a lot of stress & will break.

Are you using the correct torque converter & positioned correct? If the hub to crank is sloppy, the flexplate will be under a lot of stress & will break.

That's what I was thinking. If your using a pre 68 trans. with a 68 or newer engine the converter hub will be loose in the crank and it'll eat flexplates for lunch.

Hopefully this can help.I learned this from a transmission guy how to line up the flex plate to the torque converter correctly.The last guy notched the holes wider because he didnt know how to line it up.Saved me a headache learning this.This is for a 727 ,but should be the same for 904s.And also put some Loctite on the convertor to flex plate bolts =)
IMG_0393-1.jpg
2.jpg

Well the engine is a new one for sure but how do i know how old the transmission is? It's the right flex and it's lined correctly. And yes the converter goes back and forth as it should

Well the engine is a new one for sure but how do i know how old the transmission is? It's the right flex and it's lined correctly. And yes the converter goes back and forth as it should

On the drivers side of the transmission there is a machined area right above where the pan bolts on to. There is 2 sets of numbers there. One set is the casting number. Get those numbers and I can look it up.

Or you can do one better. On the front of the converter right in the middle there is a pilot button that sticks out. Measure the o.d. of the button and measure the i.d. of the crankshaft where it slips into. The button should just be able to slip into the crank with only a few thousandths difference. The newer stuff has a button o.d. of 1.81". The older 904's used a 1.55" o.d. pilot so it's real easy to tell if yours is wrong.

-
Back