Brought the Demon home tonight!!!

-
Bought some bucket seats off of Craigslist today for $400. They cleaned up pretty well. Now I have to buy all the associated hardware to mount them.

71Demon4-09048Medium.jpg

And I guess I'll put carpet in it while I have the seats out. And the snowball begins to roll down hill....

Well, it's been a pretty busy week. Friday afternoon I decided to try and find out where my coolant leak was coming from. Turns out the bypass hose was split. Figured I might as well replace the water pump since I was going to have it off. I put a new thermostat in it, and a thermo housing because it cracked on me while I was scraping the gasket. Temp gauge is still reading low for some reason, never reaches normal range.

Decided to change the oil and filter today. The previous owner told me that he had purchased an idler arm for it, but never got around to putting it on. I checked and I'm glad I did. I have never seen an idler arm as loose as this thing was.

I also put some new tires on it that I had laying around off of another Dart that I had bought a couple of years ago. The car really drives A LOT nicer now. But the clutch is still bad and the front brakes are grinding. The saga continues...

Beautiful car you scored. We never find stuff that clean out here in N.Y. priced that reasonably. Good for you!

Make her safe & dependable and go cruise.... that's where & when you'll decide what your gonna do with her.

Here is a picture of the weekend's work. New waterpump, thermostat and housing, hoses and belt. I also removed the aftermarket Sears a/c compressor from the front of the engine. I'll take the rest of the a/c parts off if it ever stops raining!

71Demon4-09049Medium.jpg

Get your self a photo album and save this good stuff!
Congratulations :cheers:

71Demon4-09036Medium.jpg

nice demon. last month i picked up a 74 duster same story 2 owners 2nd one was only a short period. similar condition, but has a few bumps. it was supposed to be an extremely cheap budget cruiser. it started out that way, lot of people gave me some things i needed, my wife claimed it for her car, and now its snowballing. the radiator in that deomon looks huge for a slant. could be why it doesnt build a temp.

I'm pretty sure it's all original. The radiator is very thin compared to my V8 radiator. I see a small amount of seeping around a couple of fins and I think one of the previous owners used some stop leak on it.

When I pulled off the water pump, the two smaller outlets were completely plugged up. I flushed the system the best I could using a garden hose, including the heater core. A temp sending unit is less than $5, so I may try changing that out this weekend.

I am buying a set of SBP rallyes from a guy first thing tomorrow for $100. He said he has 6 wheels and is going to let me pick the best four. Price also includes 3 late center caps, luckily I have a fourth already.

Then, I'm off to a swap meet about an hour away. Maybe I'll find a set of 14 inch trim rings!

Congrats on the score!!!! Slap some Rallyes and stripes on it and hit the road. Again, congrats!

Here are the wheels I bought today. They are a little rough, but they were only $15 a piece. I have a bead blast cabinet at work and they should clean up ok, and then I'll rattle can them silver. The center caps are driver quality at best, and are the incorrect later style also. I hate to spend the money to buy new caps. Also, still need to find one brushed trim ring.

Demon002Medium.jpg

Wow, great deal on those rallies!!

Yeah, I guess I should clarify. Wheels were $15 each, center caps $10x3, and I bought 2 trim rings for $15. So, it was still a pretty good deal, but they do need a little TLC.

Update...Got the wheels back from the sand blaster, they were too bad to do at work in our small blast cabinet. Got them in primer tonight. What a difference that made!

Before

Demon002Medium.jpg

After blasting...

wheels001Medium.jpg

Primed.

wheels002Medium.jpg

I bought a pair of used 60 series TA radials off of Craigslist for $50. Those rear wheel wells are just too wide to run the 75 series tires that I have on the rear. Should have the wheels painted and tires mounted this weekend I hope!

I bought some wheel paint at Oreilly's tonight, but I'm not happy with the metallic content of the paint. It looks like street sign paint! But what can you do? They're painted and ready to install tomorrow.

wheels004Medium.jpg

I got new lug nuts and bolts for the center caps from Ebay. Not the cheapest, but definately the fastests. Here is a picture of the BFGoodrich TAs 60s that I bought off of Craigslist yesterday for $50. They'll go on the rear. You can still see the center ridge going down the middle.

wheels005Medium.jpg

All should be mounted, balanced and on the car by this time tomorrow!

Driver's arm rest showed up in the mail yesterday. Went from blue to black thanks to a little spray vinyl dye. Turned out pretty nice.

Ebayarmrest.jpg

wheels006Medium.jpg

wheels007Medium.jpg

-
Back